2.5" Spacer Installation Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab in white. I just got a set of Helo HE879's for $450 with tires. 22x10 on 305/45/22. They clear just fine, I would just prefer to have it leveled. I only have 50k miles, shocks were just replaced by the dealer prior to purchase so I'm not adding Bilsteins at this point.

I got the 2.5" spacers off Amazon for $60, and I actually am impressed at the quality and the way they mount. You first install what I believe is M12 if not M14 cap screws in through the bottom of it. they sit about .5" down into the recess of the spacer. Then you put the space onto the shock, after you spin the whole strut assembly 180 degrees. Install the original nuts for the strut mount, then put the strut into the strut mount for final assembly. The nuts, washers and lock washers are all SS which I thought was a nice touch.

However, this is where I got stuck. I removed the caliper assembly, including caliper mount, Tie rod end, sway bar link, ABS sensor and separated the upped ball joint. It was a struggle to move the LCA low enough to get the Clevis mount of the strut into its little pocket, and I could not get the clevis seated enough to get the bolt in. I was able to push the LCA lower than the strut, but when bringing it back up, there was no point in linear progression that allowed a straight shot for the bolt to go through the clevis and into the bushing.

Has anyone experienced this issue, or know of this type of issue and what possible fixes or modifications need to be made to get them on? I typically don't ask for help, I just get it done. but I'm completely stumped.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is normal for the lower control are to be difficult to move far enough down. The bigger the strut spacer you run the harder it is. You can use a pry bar to help hold it while you install the bolt........That being said I would strongly recommend not using strut spacers to achieve your lift. It completely changes the geometry of your suspension and causes your upper and lower arms to travel past there intended range. There is a reason the Bilsteins are recommended. I would strongly recommend you install the Bilstein's even though your shocks are new. Not trying to tell you what to do or be a know it all but I have seen alot of people have issues after installing strut spacers. Good luck just my two cents.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have spacers on mine from motofab. As stated you can use a pry bar or long pipe to press down on the LCA. Or get a spring compressor and compress the spring enough to allow it to fit. This is what I did. You will definitely need an alignment when done as mine was right at the limit when first installed. It has since settled some. I will admit the ride sucks. It's rough. I may do bilsteins in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the TGC 2.5 spacers. Ran them for 18k miles and my ball joints popped out on other sides. I have the bilsteins sitting at my house waiting on a free weekend for me to throw them on. I second the bilsteins vs spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I have zero problems getting the LCA down far enough. it's the problem of not being able to get the holes to line up properly left to right that is creating the issue.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your talking about the shock being rotated right or left Put a large screwdriver through the hole in the clevis where the bolt goes and rotate the assembly right or left is needed to allow the bolt to go in.

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you leave the poker bolts lose on the strut, Or did you tighten them down? I had just a little trouble getting mine seated properly, But after that no issues! Maybe snap us a pic of the problem so we could further help!

Charles

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried forcing the alignment of the lower shock mount with a few different thickness screwdrivers. No go. I also had problems with the upper strut mount as I had put the nuts on about 1/4" down the stud, and at one point realized it limited movement quite a bit. But also held it in place instead of falling as I try to force the LCA downwards.

I am grabbing a new 10 bolt for my 2001 suburban this weekend to replace the old one. Once I finish, i'll probably dive back into the ram to see if I can get it done.

I'll update all of you once I start trying to make progress.