Death Wobble on my 2012 Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some help!
My Power Wagon has developed a bad Death Wobble,and I can't find anything that has come loose/broke/etc.It only has 18k miles on it,and I've only put 3k on it since I had the 4" Rancho lift on it.
It has never done this until a couple weeks ago,and now I'm scared to deive over 40mph in the thing,it will shake the steering wheel out of your hands.
I've checked all of the nuts/bolts,and nothing is loose,I have also raised/lowered the tire pressure-lowering the pressure makes it worse!
I've changed the dampning settings on the shocks,and that didn't help.

It drives fine until you hit a bump at over 45mph,and then the shaking starts.

I'm clueless as to what to do,if anyone has an answer,please let me know. It sucks having a new truck,and not being able to drive the damn thing.

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm guessing it has to with the Rancho Lift?

I assume that's why you're asking for help here rather than taking the truck to the dealer?

Dawizman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Still have warranty? Maybe your dealership will help you out, even with the lift installed.

Have you checked for any play in ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, steering stabilizer? Death wobble on these trucks can be caused by a multitude of things. I had it on my 2004 2500, and it was difficult to fix. I (my company) threw a lot of money at the truck trying to correct it. All of the above mentioned items were replaced at some point during troubleshooting. I can't say for sure exactly what fixed it for me. It might have been a combination of parts that finally did it.

If you still have warranty, try going down that road first, because it will get expensive.

OP
OP
T

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing it has to with the Rancho Lift?

I assume that's why you're asking for help here rather than taking the truck to the dealer?

I don't believe it is from the lift kit,as the truck has operated perfectly for 3K miles since it was installed and aligned.
I would rather fix it myself than take it to a dealer and getting screwed by their high prices for parts/labor.

This is a common thing with Dodge trucks from what I have read,so I was just asking for suggestions from anyone that may have had this problem with their truck.

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don't believe it is from the lift kit,as the truck has operated perfectly for 3K miles since it was installed and aligned.
I would rather fix it myself than take it to a dealer and getting screwed by their high prices for parts/labor.

This is a common thing with Dodge trucks from what I have read,so I was just asking for suggestions from anyone that may have had this problem with their truck.

The truck is a 2012 with 18k miles on it. Parts and Labor should be under warranty unless they can prove it was caused by the Rancho Lift. If they refuse to cover any issues under warranty, you will pay AT MOST $100 for diagnosis/inspection, and will be free to take the truck elsewhere.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I tried looking to see what parts the lift kit includes but was having a hard time finding details
This is something that a lot of people throw money at to try to fix and don't
My first guess would be a track bar problem since I'm assuming the kit came with control arms and a track bar drop

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Track bar is first to mind when death wobble is brought up.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
x3 check the track bar. Did your kit come with a beefier adjustable track bar? If so it could be where you adjust it coming loose. You can tac weld that if you have too. So it is when driving only and not when your on brakes yeah? If you ask me the weakest part of these trucks is the front suspension, so many small parts. If I come into some money I'm going to put a solid axel up front.

My dealer fixes stuff for me that they aren't supposed to all the time. One even cheated mileage once to fix the transmission. They don't care who pays them, they don't mind billing Dodge one bit. Definitely take it to the dealer and just be nice to them. A little coolness goes a long way these days, so many asshats walking around. Even if you had to pay for the fix, at least your not going to be dead. They don't call it death wobble for nothing, get it fixed Bra.

Last edited:

Larry 1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My own Death Wobble

I need some help!
My Power Wagon has developed a bad Death Wobble,and I can't find anything that has come loose/broke/etc.It only has 18k miles on it,and I've only put 3k on it since I had the 4" Rancho lift on it.
It has never done this until a couple weeks ago,and now I'm scared to deive over 40mph in the thing,it will shake the steering wheel out of your hands.
I've checked all of the nuts/bolts,and nothing is loose,I have also raised/lowered the tire pressure-lowering the pressure makes it worse!
I've changed the dampning settings on the shocks,and that didn't help.

It drives fine until you hit a bump at over 45mph,and then the shaking starts.

I'm clueless as to what to do,if anyone has an answer,please let me know. It sucks having a new truck,and not being able to drive the damn thing.

I had my own issues with the DW, I live in Key West, and while I was traveling up the Keys, My Power Wagon went started shaking so violently, I almost hit another car I was passing. I was only going about 60 MPH when it started, and it scared the **** out of my wife. I took it to the shop and the dealer told me that my steering stabilizer was locked up. Couldn't believe that, because I only had 20K for the mileage. SO they swapped it out, an it hasn't done it since. But, there has been a few times I thought it was going to start again. You have probably already check the stabilizer, but if you haven't look into it

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd get to measuring as well. Often when the straight axle trucks are lifted the axles will move to one side unless the aftermarket track bar is dead on. My buddies 2500 would look like it was crab walking down the road after his 5" it was awful.
If it were me I'd measure to make sure axles were centered first, if you don't have an aftermarket track bar or track bar location id look into that. Tires balanced and alignment next.

I had it on my wrangler after 7" lift that had track bar "relocation" It was gone after I bought an adjustable track bar in factory location and alignment. Good luck. I know its scary as hell.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Park the truck with the side of one tire right on the curb.
Lay on the ground under the truck, staring at the steering linkages / trac bar.

Have an assistant (preferably female, cute and plentiful funbags for later) lightly saw the steering left-right, like 1/4 turn on the wheel.

Watch to see what's loose. I bet a bracket / joint has a lot of slop.

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did the same damn thing. I took it took the dealer and had them replace everything!!!! And they did. Havent had an issue since

dieseldays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More than 80 % of the time the death wobble is caused by the cummins torque monster twisting the frame which makes the rails flex and fatigue. My buddy recently found one of these Dodge Steering Stabilizer and it has brought back his steering stability. He has had it a little over a year now with no problems. So before any of you go spend alot having you're whole front end looked at try one of these inexpensive bars first. Best of luck :favorites13:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check track bar. Id be willing to bet its causing your problem. If you havent yet Im gonna say go ahead and buy an adjustable bar to fit your lift, they are much more reliable then drop brackets. Will be a good upgrade. Be sure to check your tie rods and tie rod ends, ball joints, and Ive even seen steering stabs cause it. Id prob just ditch the steering stab all together tho..