Have 2.5" Level - should I raise the rear or drop the front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright...my dealer installed a 2.5" leveling kit for me. Along with the leveling kit, I'm running 275/65R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. When I went to pick it up it seemed to sit nose high. It's sort of bugged me all week. On a positive note it made my old 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew with Bilsteins set at the max seem low and small.

Anyhow...depending on what way I view my truck it seems nose high. I confirmed my suspicions with the tape measure. The front sits at approximatley 39 5/8" inches tall. The rear sits at 40 1/4". So the rear is just about 1/2" taller. To the eye...it looks lower.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Sorry (for the poor pics). Betters to come when I get her cleaned up and shining.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Oddly the tires look way better in person too IMO.

So my question is...add a 3/4 rear spacer? Or drop the front from a 2.5" to a either a 2" or 1.5" leveling kit? I know the rear is cheaper, but I want to do whats better.

Also, for those that had/have vibration with the leveling kit. Was it only in 4 high? Or was it in 4 auto?

OP
OP
K

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really didn't want to step up to 35's. Maybe next year. But the 34" Nitto's upgraded to will suit me fine. I'm going to be adding a plow to the fornt of my truck and I didn't want to deal with 35's rubbing once the front end squats. I think these tires fill out the truck fine.

standard.jpg

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the bilsteins at 2.8 and a 1" rear coil spacer. It keeps a little rake in. I think the stock tires look fine.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Add the rear spacers. Don't drop the front

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks leveled to me with an ever so slightly bit of rake.
But if you are like me...then I would raise the rear
That is what I did on my 1500
I had a 1/4" rake but it looked TOO level for me and depending on where I parked it appeared nose high.
Now I have a 1" rake and love it :signs6:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Mine came out about the same as yours, and that was with a 2 in level kit, and an Airlift 1000 already at 35 psi.

I don't know if you see any value in the airlift kit from a towing/hauling perspective, but for $100 you could justify it based purely on the fact that at 35 psi it raises the back of the truck (measured at the receiver hitch) approximately 3/4 in.

In answer to your 4wd auto question, anytime the 4wd is engaged you could potentially feel the vibration, so during regular operation in 4wd auto, your 4wd will not be engaged based on my understanding. It will only engage if it detects wheelspin, and at this point you could feel the shudder. However, I don't think many people on here have experienced the shudder, and lots of them are running Bilsteins at 2.8 which would increase the risk for shudder even higher than your 2.5 in spacer kit.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came out about the same as yours, and that was with a 2 in level kit, and an Airlift 1000 already at 35 psi.

I don't know if you see any value in the airlift kit from a towing/hauling perspective, but for $100 you could justify it based purely on the fact that at 35 psi it raises the back of the truck (measured at the receiver hitch) approximately 3/4 in.

In answer to your 4wd auto question, anytime the 4wd is engaged you could potentially feel the vibration, so during regular operation in 4wd auto, your 4wd will not be engaged based on my understanding. It will only engage if it detects wheelspin, and at this point you could feel the shudder. However, I don't think many people on here have experienced the shudder, and lots of them are running Bilsteins at 2.8 which would increase the risk for shudder even higher than your 2.5 in spacer kit.

To add to this....once the Bilsteins settle from its 2.75" setting, you will more than likley fall between the 2.5-2.6" so it isnt far off from a 2.5" spacer.

I still personally like it set at 2.1" but thats just me

OP
OP
K

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. 3/4" spacer was ordered from Top Gun Customz. Hopefully that will fix it. I may down the road add the Air Lift bladders, but I only really tow a light lanscape trailer with my zero turn mower. Couple times a year I'll load the bed up with dirt or stone but that's it.

Jstark45xd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a 2.5" leveling spacer set. My question is do I have to get an alignment after I put it on?
Thanks
Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you measure your rake before? I have 3" of rake, and because I tow a lot, I too will go with the 2" level with the 1.5" BL. Im just to scared to install the 2.5" and have the rear lowered some....

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you measure your rake before? Im curious mine has 3" of rake from factory. I think Im gonna go with the 2" because Im scared of this happening as well. Im gonna throw the 1.5" body lift on it also tho.

Jstark45xd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How important is the rake? Is it just for mpg/aerodynamics?

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How important is the rake? Is it just for mpg/aerodynamics?

Rake is factored for many reasons.
Aerodynamics (for better streamline for MPG), towing (for squatting rears), etc

But this is why there are airbags (Air Lift 1000 among others) to aid in this rear sag.

Jstark45xd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool. Thanks for the quick response.