Leveling question for 2017 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a quick question regarding leveling and I am looking for your feedback.

Many of the folks in the community have recommended the Bilsteins 5100 to level my new 2017 Ram 1500. I have contacted several truck performance and accessories shops in my local area for install quotes.

On the fourth place I called, the owner asked me why I wanted to change out my front struts to level the truck when it only has less than 500 miles. I told him the Bilsteins were highly recommended based on performance, quality, and ride over using spacers. The owner told me I was correct; however, there are two types of spacers.

1. Spacers that go on top of your springs, which consist of compressing your spring in order to put them on. He said, he will not install, nor recommend anyone use these as they will damage your springs overtime and give you a poor ride performance.
  2. PRO COMP - Spacer/extension that actually bolts in between the strut and strut tower. This consist of take off your spring, strut etc., and then bolting it to the strut tower. This comes with a life time warranty as well.
The owner recommended that I go with the PRO COMP route for two reasons. 1) I have a brand new truck that has less than 500 miles and there is nothing wrong with my existing strut. 2) Going the PRO COMP route does not ruin your suspension or springs and does not void the warranty.

Lastly, he told me that if I were to replace the strut, he would recommend Rancho ready lift (comes with spring and all), and that the quality of Bilsteins has been going downhill. Do you agree?

Is that true that there is two types of “spacers” like he mentioned? Does his recommendation seem valid and would you agree with him?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Veritech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Veritech! :) I will read through it. I created to post to see if the owner was BS'ing me into something else and I wanted the communities opinion.

For what it's worth, I went with the Bilsteins and Zone UCAs with less than 1,000 miles on the truck lol

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth, I went with the Bilsteins and Zone UCAs with less than 1,000 miles on the truck lol

Thanks. I am still leaning that way as well. All places in my area want $275 to install them (since the have to take a part the spring, etc).

Being new to trucks I don't know about these, so now I am researching the Ranchos since he mentioned them. They seem good and come with springs. Now I need to see how they compare against Bilsteins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a 2010, 2013 and now a 2016 and all have had Bil's set at 2.1. I have never had a problem. With the 16 I did replace the UCA's when I installed the Bil's, just to put my mind at ease regarding the upper ball joint problem some people have had. Many don't think it's needed, maybe-maybe not, but I wanted to and I did it. I like the ride, I like the look, and I think Bil's are a quality product and would buy them again in a heartbeat. A couple hundred bucks is pretty reasonable for installation IMHO.
Jay

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had a 2010, 2013 and now a 2016 and all have had Bil's set at 2.1. I have never had a problem. With the 16 I did replace the UCA's when I installed the Bil's, just to put my mind at ease regarding the upper ball joint problem some people have had. Many don't think it's needed, maybe-maybe not, but I wanted to and I did it. I like the ride, I like the look, and I think Bil's are a quality product and would buy them again in a heartbeat. A couple hundred bucks is pretty reasonable for installation IMHO.

Jay

Good news to hear! Thanks for the personal testimonial and recommendation. I will shy away from the PRO COMP and Ranchos and stick with Bilsteins.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard nothing but good about the quality of the Bils personally. I have been known to OVER research what I do on my trucks to point of really bludgeoning the dead horse to a pulp, and landed with the Bils.

My brother has the Rancho quick lifts and they are just fine, albeit a bit squeaky but that could be in part to the cold AK winters.
My guess is that the owner has some deal with the Pro Comp setup so it would benefit him to push those a bit harder, but good to know he wont install the other spacers.

For what its worth, i have the Maxcare warranty through Chrysler (absolutely love it, already paid for itself) and they said the Bils wont void the warranty on any components since it doesnt dampen the travel or change the geometry out of factory specs as long as its under 2.5 inches (so the 2.1 setting).

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard nothing but good about the quality of the Bils personally. I have been known to OVER research what I do on my trucks to point of really bludgeoning the dead horse to a pulp, and landed with the Bils.

My brother has the Rancho quick lifts and they are just fine, albeit a bit squeaky but that could be in part to the cold AK winters.
My guess is that the owner has some deal with the Pro Comp setup so it would benefit him to push those a bit harder, but good to know he wont install the other spacers.

For what its worth, i have the Maxcare warranty through Chrysler (absolutely love it, already paid for itself) and they said the Bils wont void the warranty on any components since it doesnt dampen the travel or change the geometry out of factory specs as long as its under 2.5 inches (so the 2.1 setting).

Thanks for the information Dan! I really appreciate and will go with the Bils. I have been trying to do a lot of research as well. I don't want to make the wrong choice on my truck and ruin it!

What is Maxcare warranty? Is than an extra warranty care for the truck?

Also, are you able to go higher than 2.1, but less an 2.5? When I measured the front of my truck it is exactly a 2.5 difference from the rear.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the information Dan! I really appreciate and will go with the Bils. I have been trying to do a lot of research as well. I don't want to make the wrong choice on my truck and ruin it!

What is Maxcare warranty? Is than an extra warranty care for the truck?

Also, are you able to go higher than 2.1, but less an 2.5? When I measured the front of my truck it is exactly a 2.5 difference from the rear.

Just playing it safe with the 2.1, the other setting is 2.8 and while the tech said it SHOULD be fine its a safer bet for the 2.1 IMO.
Maxcare is an extended tiered warranty through the dealer. Essentially, I paid about $2700 when I bought the truck and its covers bumper to bumper for the life i own the vehicle. There is $100 deductible on each visit (even if its a dozen different things), covers towing to the nearest dealer, and rental car if they have it over 24 hours.
I had a hemi tick that was super loud and not sure if it was from the -40F temps or something else but had it checked out. They flew an engine tech from Anchorage (fairbanks is small, but a 1.5hour flight away) to come in and dismantle the engine to inspect the heads and lifters for damage. They didnt find anything there so they had their exhaust tech go with some optic thingy and a stethoscope and inspected my exhaust system from the headers all the way down. Ultimately ruled it was hemi tick as other can be a bit more loud, but I paid my $100 for the 4k and some change bill.
Works out for all parties. They get to bill Maxcare for whatever, I pay $100 and some piece of mind knowing it was done right

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Settings go from 2.1 to 2.8---nothing in between.
Jay

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just playing it safe with the 2.1, the other setting is 2.8 and while the tech said it SHOULD be fine its a safer bet for the 2.1 IMO.

Maxcare is an extended tiered warranty through the dealer. Essentially, I paid about $2700 when I bought the truck and its covers bumper to bumper for the life i own the vehicle. There is $100 deductible on each visit (even if its a dozen different things), covers towing to the nearest dealer, and rental car if they have it over 24 hours.

I had a hemi tick that was super loud and not sure if it was from the -40F temps or something else but had it checked out. They flew an engine tech from Anchorage (fairbanks is small, but a 1.5hour flight away) to come in and dismantle the engine to inspect the heads and lifters for damage. They didnt find anything there so they had their exhaust tech go with some optic thingy and a stethoscope and inspected my exhaust system from the headers all the way down. Ultimately ruled it was hemi tick as other can be a bit more loud, but I paid my $100 for the 4k and some change bill.

Works out for all parties. They get to bill Maxcare for whatever, I pay $100 and some piece of mind knowing it was done right

Ah, okay. I understand; I purchased the extended warranty for my vehicle as well! I paid $2,495 for lifetime/100,000 miles and covers it bumper to bumper with $100 deductible! I figured it was the best way to go.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Settings go from 2.1 to 2.8---nothing in between.

Jay

Thanks pull ya for the clarification.

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did same thing as veritech. Threw bils front and rear w the zone UCAs. Just make sure they send you both right and left... they sent me 2 drivers in the kit and then sent me another to give me a passenger and it turned to be another driver lol. Other than that I love them!

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like ride better than the factory too honestly

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I contacted one of the shops back and the total to install the Bilsteins is $573.33 ($243.33 for the Bilsteins online + $250 for install +$75 for alignment).

However, if I purchase the Bilsteins through him it is $500 total and which includes the alignment! Savings of $73.33. Waiting on him to get back to me with an install date!

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The owner recommended that I go with the PRO COMP route for two reasons. 1) I have a brand new truck that has less than 500 miles and there is nothing wrong with my existing strut. 2) Going the PRO COMP route does not ruin your suspension or springs and does not void the warranty.

I got the bilsteins installed with under 500 miles on my truck. I actually never gave it much thought that I'm replacing new struts...i just wanted a better product than stock and for it to be done right.

I've had bilsteins on my other trucks as well and they've always been top notch.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the bilsteins installed with under 500 miles on my truck. I actually never gave it much thought that I'm replacing new struts...i just wanted a better product than stock and for it to be done right.

I've had bilsteins on my other trucks as well and they've always been top notch.

Thanks jarzo. I'm waiting on the guy to email me back for the installation date. I will post pics here once it is level! [emoji2] I hate waiting!! [emoji37]

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks jarzo. I'm waiting on the guy to email me back for the installation date. I will post pics here once it is level! [emoji2] I hate waiting!! [emoji37]

You could get them and do it yourself if you don't wanna wait lol

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could get them and do it yourself if you don't wanna wait lol