Mevotech quality issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Guys, I didn't expect this will happen to me one day. I'm the one who has paranoia for technical condition of the truck. I was always sure my truck is absolutely fine with the parts I've installed.
So last year Mevotech ball joints were installed in the lower control arms. Lower control arms are the ones that has less pressure than any other. So it was broken yesterday on a way home. Without any scratching, knocking or shouting "Alex, I need to be replaced ASAP". I'm not a fan of off-roading, only pavements riding.
So the wheel went up, damaged a chrome bumper, a fender, so bushwacker fender flare is cracked... How did this happen? Metal cracked as it was weak. So the ball is still in the housing and the bolt remains in the knuckle.
Today it was replaced by GM ball joint and I think to change a right one as well before this happen again

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
Man, Glad your ok. Havent heard of any lower ball joint failures.

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Man, Glad your ok. Havent heard of any lower ball joint failures.

That's true! thanks God the speed was less then 10mph...

What do you expect from the cheapest aftermarket product?

Hmmm... not cheapest actually. It is the most expensive in the range.
K7411 ball joint prices(Amazon):
Mevotech - $44
Moog - $41
Detroit Axle - $16
Parts Master - $18
ACDelco - $34

And even If I'd buy the cheapest one for $16, the factory has no right to produce it with so bad quality. Ok, an internal parts of the ball joint could wear extremely fast if you bought a cheapest item made of crap materials, but come on, the stud shouldn't break in the middle! Just imagine if this happens on a highway!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is so much off about this, I don't even know where to start..
200w.gif

Hopefully the new ones work out.

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Grand total:
1. paid for truck towing
2. ball joint - part an labor
3. left fender - paint and labor
4. bumper - repaired but several scratches on the chrome surface left
5. left headlight - need to be replaced as three brackets is broken
6. bushwacker fender flare, waiting for the news rom the workshop. rather to be replaced, rather repaired.... Someone has an experience or knows how to file a lawsuit on them?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
you want to file a lawsuit against them...? You just spent all that money, you do realize how much it would cost to file a lawsuit right? You would have to prove that you didn't do anything to make the part fail...which would be pretty much near impossible.

Not trying to talk you out of it, if you have the money, and time to burn to go up against a big corporation more power to you. Personally I don't see your case making it too far in a court

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Grand total:
1. paid for truck towing
2. ball joint - part an labor
3. left fender - paint and labor
4. bumper - repaired but several scratches on the chrome surface left
5. left headlight - need to be replaced as three brackets is broken
6. bushwacker fender flare, waiting for the news rom the workshop. rather to be replaced, rather repaired.... Someone has an experience or knows how to file a lawsuit on them?

this is whats wrong with this country.

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
this is whats wrong with this country.

Not with country in fact. Something wrong is with the quality...I wrote to Mevotech customer support already, but no reply yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
you want to file a lawsuit against them...? You just spent all that money, you do realize how much it would cost to file a lawsuit right? You would have to prove that you didn't do anything to make the part fail...which would be pretty much near impossible.

Not trying to talk you out of it, if you have the money, and time to burn to go up against a big corporation more power to you. Personally I don't see your case making it too far in a court

Maybe you are right. Maybe it's useless, but there is another way. To bring that ball joint to a tech lab, to make an analysis of the materials were used. If some defect will be found the lawsuit could be reasonable, if not...

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
LOL @ lawsuit for busted aftermarket ball joint on a 1500 with 37s

Just a ball joint?...hmm..just imagine you are on a highway with your family, nothing special, relaxed driving, cruise control at 80mph and your front wheel is just falling apart. How much will that accident cost you if you'll be still alive after that?
Guys, I don't give **ck if I'm getting ****** quality decal from eBay member, but if we are talking about suspension parts....those are vitally important.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't try to lecture me on this.. you are the one running huge tires on a half ton truck and then upset when it breaks. If you want a big truck, buy a 2500 that can support it.

also, STOP buying mevotech bs. Get a decent brand.

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't expect any protection when you alter your factory vehicle from the factory researched and risk assessed original.

Did you make your insurance company aware for the added risk you imposed on them by the lift kit increasing the center of gravity and thereby adding to rollover potential?

What torque spec was used on the nut? Torque wrench or air tool?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Don't try to lecture me on this.. you are the one running huge tires on a half ton truck and then upset when it breaks. If you want a big truck, buy a 2500 that can support it.

also, STOP buying mevotech bs. Get a decent brand.

I will never buy a Mevotech for sure! I've installed the one made by GM. So hope this will work better. Do you have any other recommendations?
As for the lower control arm and ball joint in it, it is not overloaded so heavily

OP
OP
Pmexpert

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Don't expect any protection when you alter your factory vehicle from the factory researched and risk assessed original.

Did you make your insurance company aware for the added risk you imposed on them by the lift kit increasing the center of gravity and thereby adding to rollover potential?

What torque spec was used on the nut? Torque wrench or air tool?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Torque wrench, as I don't believe in air tool
Accuracy

Whiskey rulezzz))