Need a bit of expertise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So hopefully in a few weeks my new ride will arrive. I've decided to trade off my beloved CTD and go back to a 1500. I have ordered a 13 Sport Crew 4x4 and am shopping for lift, wheels, tires, etc. I have some questions, some I'm sure have been covered, but any help would be appreciated.

One of the main reasons for the 1500 is because of the stiff ride in the CTD (I don't mind it that much, but my wife HATES it). So therefore, new ride. My main thing is keeping a smooth ride for her and keeping my lifted truck for me.

So, lift...

I have driven a few friends vehicles w/ BDS suspension lifts, and I was HIGHLY impressed w/ the ride (Very similar, if not better than stock), and plus the lifetime warranty is nice, so I'm 95% certain that's what I will go with. Having the truck leveled once lifted is important to me as well, so it seems the consensus is Bilstien 5100's, I guess I will go that route.

According to BDS website, the 6" lift for the 13 comes with either BDS shocks or upgradable to FOX shocks. I'm not sure if they would do a shockless kit or possibly offer the 5100's but I will find out. Also according to them, this lift will allow me to fit 37x12.50x20 tires...They make no mention of needing spacers, but I would imagine that would depend on wheel offset, backspacing, etc. It does say 5" backspacing on rims though.

Which brings me to wheels....

The stockers I originally said would go, but they are starting to grow on me. I'm not sure of the backspacing and offset, but I would like to know, lol. But if the stockers will not work out, then wheel shopping will commence. I'm not 100% on what I need to be looking at offset and backspacing wise, but I do know I would like to NOT run any spacers on the wheels.

Now tires..

This one is tougher for me. I travel ALOT, and the Toyo's I have on my current rig I love because they last FOREVER (I got 55k out of the last set). Their downfall is snow and wet traction, but i understand it's a mud tires so I shouldn't have expected it. Anyway, Toyo doesn't offer a 37 x 12.50 anyway, so I will be looking at other options. I like the Duratrac's, but it would mean I would need to go w/ a 35" tire instead (possibility)

Enough rambling, I would like so insight on what I mentioned to help me make a better decision on a new setup. Like I mentioned, the number one goal is keeping a smooth (well, as smooth as I can) ride to keep the wifey happy, and to be aggressive looking as well. Looking forward to your opinions!

Last edited:

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
As far as lift goes, everybody has their own preferences. I haven't heard enough about the 13s to make any opinions on, but I love my Pro Comp lift. When I got mine almost 2 years ago now, it was the only lift for 09-11s (at the time) to offer a full 6" drop bracket. I now understand that Pro Comp offers a lifetime warranty as well, but I have not had to take advantage of that.

The factory wheels will most likely have a positive offset if anything like the 09-12 sport wheels meaning you'd need to run a spacer if you wanted to keep the stock 20s. I personally wouldn't recommend that route, but it can be done.

Tires are a matter of just researching what's best for the type of driving you do. I can't speak for snow but on normal wet roads I actually love mud terrains and have never had a problem with them loosing traction.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Have you considered going to a carli or thuren kit for a better ride in your current truck?

OP
OP
dodgeman70592

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As far as lift goes, everybody has their own preferences. I haven't heard enough about the 13s to make any opinions on, but I love my Pro Comp lift. When I got mine almost 2 years ago now, it was the only lift for 09-11s (at the time) to offer a full 6" drop bracket. I now understand that Pro Comp offers a lifetime warranty as well, but I have not had to take advantage of that.

The factory wheels will most likely have a positive offset if anything like the 09-12 sport wheels meaning you'd need to run a spacer if you wanted to keep the stock 20s. I personally wouldn't recommend that route, but it can be done.

Tires are a matter of just researching what's best for the type of driving you do. I can't speak for snow but on normal wet roads I actually love mud terrains and have never had a problem with them loosing traction.

I have Pro Comp on my current truck, it's meaty. My only issue was that it's stiff as all get out and easy to hit the bump stops. I figured as much about using the stock wheels, I guess I will start shopping that as well. Thanks!

Have you considered going to a carli or thuren kit for a better ride in your current truck?

Actually, I was set to get a Kelderman air lift system, but then decided might as well put that money towards a new rig. The damn thing was 13k!

I love the truck I have now, but part of me feels like I've done what I want to it, I want a new challenge. Does that sound dumb?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Not at all if your ready for something new then by all means go for it
I would just hate to see you get rid of such a nice truck that you have so much work into because you weren't happy with the ride

I've heard mixed reviews on kelderman suspensions, probably a lot better off without it!

OP
OP
dodgeman70592

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Looked up the Carli setup. Complete 6" kit is a hair over 10k. It's tempting....I guess once the new truck arrives, if it doesn't lift my skirt so to speak, I may just look into a smoother suspension on the current rig. Since 2002, I have had an 03, 04 and an 08, kinda wanting a different dash to look at if you know what I mean.

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed you have a body lift as well, did you have to use that to fit the 37's?

Not necessarily, I could've gone with a 1.25 but I just wanted more height, I'm actually pretty sure I can fit 40's but don't have the proper gearing right now

OP
OP
dodgeman70592

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmmm, I'm trying to stay away from any sort of spacer/body lifts if at all possible (not that there is anything wrong with them, just want smoothest ride possible), so this may be a contender if I stick w/ 35's. Thanks for the input!

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, I'm trying to stay away from any sort of spacer/body lifts if at all possible (not that there is anything wrong with them, just want smoothest ride possible), so this may be a contender if I stick w/ 35's. Thanks for the input!

Well you could run a lift w/o coilovers then add bilsteins if you wanna run the 37's

OP
OP
dodgeman70592

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Got a price from the local truck shop here on a BDS kit. Wondering what the average install costs are on a lift. The price I got seems ok, but wondering what you guys paid.