New guy here / 2017 Big Horn QC 5.7 / Front end lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the wife and I bit the bullet and signed on a 2017 Big Horn 1500 QC. Tow, skids, Alpine, rubber floor mats, RW defroster, heated butt and wheel. Dark blue.

I hated to part with my '07 TRX (125K), but it was sliding in resale and we thought this was a good time to get what will probably be my last new vehicle before retirement (after that, a new car becomes problematic financially).

I like the thing, and the dealer gave us a pretty good deal (he threw in a Line-X BL and a hood deflector), about $15K below sticker and a reasonable deal on the trade. (I miss it already :( )

We got the All Season tires, crappy Wranglers but supposedly a step up from the stockers they usually put on this trim. While we're not serious off-roaders, I do want to get this thing dirty and some of the Forest Service roads in CO get a little gnarly - we just got a pop-up camper last spring and I'd like to get out there a bit.

The air dam below the front bumper looks really low to me - does it drop below the differential? I got a quote from the local 4x4 shop for about $1200 to lift the front end 2" - new control arms. Zone 1 parts, I believe.

I'd also like to get some tires - but a tire size bump and the lift together would be about 3 grand, and I'm a little tapped these days.

Any advice?

Thanks (and yeah, I'll get a pic up of the new truck when I can find my camera ! )

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to the dealership to get your lift so not to void any warranties. ive heard and read here that any aftermarket lift might void warranty.

OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to the dealership to get your lift so not to void any warranties. ive heard and read here that any aftermarket lift might void warranty.

The tech at the 4x4 shop says "no issue with factory warranty", but what else would he say?

I hear ya and will dig a little more at it.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are mechanical get Bilsteins and do it yourself. They are $200. Took me 45 minutes once I figured out what I was doing. The first side took like 4 hours mostly researching, and the 2nd was simple.

The dealer will likely do a spacer level which is what my dealer does. Bilsteins or Fox are a much better option and not as hard on the front end. Plus it rides better and handles much better. I just put them on my 17 like a week ago. You can prob get them done by a shop for like 500 or something or do it yourself for 200.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally if you are worried about the air dam take it off, trim it or get one off an Outdoorsman (all cheaper than a level). My air dam is about 1" thick at most and not a concern. I would not level if you plan to use your truck as a truck and since you mentioned towing a trailer it sounds like you will. As for the tires I would see if they meet your needs before you spend good money on new ones.

If your tapped why go looking for reasons to spend money?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looking for options and suggestions, thx.