Newb needing lift advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boombamjt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there. First of all wanted to thank everyone for creating the great community that is this website. I have answered a lot of my questions just looking things up.

Basically, I'm new to lifting. I've had my 2009 RAM for about 5 years now, and just now have the money to lift it. I'm doing my best to find what I want without spending too much.

I'll be riding on 35x12.50 Atturo Trailblade AT's (AT because my commute is 25+ miles) and Helo HE 878 wheels.

Been looking at 4 and 6 inch lifts (mainly RCX and Zone Offroad), and really want that aggressive look. I also looked at other kits (body lift and combo lift kits), but I don't think they will sate my thirst for what I really want.

If I want to get a 4 inch lift, should I just go ahead and get the 6 inch? Also, after I purchase the kit, do I need new shocks? I've seen people getting leveling/lifting with Bilstein 5100's, but like I said I have no idea how that works out. Lol.

Thanks in advance for the help, and thank you for this website in general. Can't wait to join the lifting community! :)

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was deciding between a 4" or 6" lift. Ended up with 6" and I'm so happy I did - just do it, is my advice.

As far as lifts, I got a 6" BDS lift but I honestly haven't heard an actual bad thing happening because of a Rough Country lift, so heck why not! Although Zone seems to be a really safe bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

boombamjt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was deciding between a 4" or 6" lift. Ended up with 6" and I'm so happy I did - just do it, is my advice.

As far as lifts, I got a 6" BDS lift but I honestly haven't heard an actual bad thing happening because of a Rough Country lift, so heck why not! Although Zone seems to be a really safe bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After purchasing the kit, do I need to separately buy shocks/struts? And how much is the installation, or is it easier to do by myself?

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Jershipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have rough country 4 inch on mine. I run bilstiens up front. Because I already had them. No complaints on my lift kit, but I don't off-road. Took me about 8 hours to do the lift. Wasn't bad at all. There is a YouTube vid on it. Helps a lot. Get the 6 inch kit. I should of. I ended up setting bilstiens at 1.4 up front and added an 1 1/2 in the rear to get the look I wanted. The zone and bds come with better components for the rear. Like I said. I don't off-road. So it made no difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

boombamjt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will you be offroading much?

Once in a while, but not too much.

Have rough country 4 inch on mine. I run bilstiens up front. Because I already had them. No complaints on my lift kit, but I don't off-road. Took me about 8 hours to do the lift. Wasn't bad at all. There is a YouTube vid on it. Helps a lot. Get the 6 inch kit. I should of. I ended up setting bilstiens at 1.4 up front and added an 1 1/2 in the rear to get the look I wanted. The zone and bds come with better components for the rear. Like I said. I don't off-road. So it made no difference to me.

Great. Thanks for the info!

I run the helo 879. 20x9 -12

You have any pics? I haven't been able to find too many online.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only speak for myself, but the main reason I opted for the 4" lift over 6" was so that I could get my Ram into my garage with the standard 7' door.

Otherwise I would have gotten the 6" lift.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with the 6", unless you have height restrictions. My 6" looked huge when I picked it up from the shop. But I've gotten used to it now, other trucks just look tiny, haha. To answer your question about needing new shocks, you dont HAVE to...a lot of guys use them to level the front end. You can also use them with a lift. Example: you could run a 6" zone lift with 3" rear coils. Your truck should come out pretty level. However, if you did the zone 6 with 5" rear coils, you would still have a good amount of rake. Popar set ups are 4" lift with bils set to 1.4, and 6" lift with bils set to 2.1 or 2.8. Everybody's truck anf situation are a little different. Do some research, check the fender measurements on your truck stock, then figure out how high you want to go, and if you want it to ne level or still have rake. Hope that helps

OP
OP
B

boombamjt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with the 6", unless you have height restrictions. My 6" looked huge when I picked it up from the shop. But I've gotten used to it now, other trucks just look tiny, haha. To answer your question about needing new shocks, you dont HAVE to...a lot of guys use them to level the front end. You can also use them with a lift. Example: you could run a 6" zone lift with 3" rear coils. Your truck should come out pretty level. However, if you did the zone 6 with 5" rear coils, you would still have a good amount of rake. Popar set ups are 4" lift with bils set to 1.4, and 6" lift with bils set to 2.1 or 2.8. Everybody's truck anf situation are a little different. Do some research, check the fender measurements on your truck stock, then figure out how high you want to go, and if you want it to ne level or still have rake. Hope that helps

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a ton.

OP
OP
B

boombamjt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jershipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The combo kit you listed first is a level and body lift. Can't put 2 body lifts on. However you can buy the bilstiens and set them st max. Add a small spring spacer in rear. Then put the 3 inch body lift on. Would be about equivalent to at least a for inch lift. One of the members on here runs that setup.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Is it heard of to possibly get a Leveling kit (3.75in Combo Lift Kit for 09-11 Dodge 4wd 1500 Ram [352] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®) and then put a 3 inch body lift on top of that? (Performance Accessories 3in Body Lift Kit for 09-12 Dodge 1500 Ram [BL60203] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®). It would save me a lot of money. Not really going to do much offroading. Is this safe? Should I still buy shocks?

Thanks again for the cooperation guys.

Yes you can run a 2.5" leveling kit and a 3" body lift.
Leveling lifts suspension and body, we'll just body.
I myself have a 2.5" leveling with 2" body with no ill effect. I will be going to a 6" RC lift with Bilstein 5100 up front along with the already 2" body lift in a couple of weeks.

Icejob8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I purchased a 6" Superlift with Bilsteins, installing it weekend after next. I too struggled with the 4" vs 6". I figured go BIG or go home. I did a lot of research, looked at a lot of pictures etc in advance. Hopefully I will be happy with mine and you will be with the lift you pick out