Rough Country vs. Mopar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys.

I just bought a '13 Big Horn and one of my first mods is gonna be a lift kit. Couple questions...

Would all the Rough Country suspension kits for 2009-2012 Rams also fit my 2013?

Also, do you guys think I should fork out the extra cash and go for a Mopar kit so I keep my warranty worry free? I think I would be a little too anxious about the warranty being voided with a Rough Country kit, but I'd be willing to deal with it if there are enough advantages to the kit.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me! Sorry I know it's a topic that has already been discussed alot.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i've had 5 rough country kits on the last 5 trucks and have had zero issues. just ordered a 6" kit for the '12. will be goin' on pretty soon here.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting. Ok guys thanks for the input.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some people love rough country and some have alot of problems, shops in edmonton wont even install them if you have it actually :/ just my opinion though.

id go BDS or procomp

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
some people love rough country and some have alot of problems, shops in edmonton wont even install them if you have it actually :/ just my opinion though.

id go BDS or procomp

Wow I'm surprised they won't install them. That speaks alot to the quality I guess.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, some people will swear by em, but when i walked into the shop asking install price, he asked what kit i said rough country he said "nope wont even touch em, id be doing warranty work on that thing all the time, unless you sign a peice of paper saying i wont have to do any warranty work on it whatsoever i wont touch it" :/

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow that sucks. Ok good call, I definitely don't want to risk that since I just spent so much on a new truck. I'll start looking at other options. A 2 or 3 inch leveling kit would be exactly what i want. I just can't find very many that specifically say they're for the 2013 ram. Everyone seems to stop at 2012 models.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Zero issues with my RC lifts on my current and previous trucks.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Zero issues with my RC lifts on my current and previous trucks.

Ok cool. Thanks for your input. I guess it really does just depend on luck then

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think they changed the strut assembly on the 13s? so they should work i though :S maybe not

jake09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rcx is beyond the most popular lift kits on the 4th gen rams..All the kits are the same basically anyway unless you get a coilover setup..Procomp reuses stock rear coils plus spacers..mehh dont like that, but they also have a true 6" crossmember and diff drop unlike other companies. And I'm not sure on the 13' changes but i thought there were small alterations to the lift kits..

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im just basing it off of what the installers told me and problems i see popping up on the forum, but then theres probably alot more problems simply because theres alot more people running em!

jake09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeh I've never ran an rcx, just going by what others have said online..Seems like a lot more problems with the older modeled kits though..Only probs i have seen is a kit came with wrong sized diff drop bracket which made driveshaft at a bad angle..And few ppl have had issues with the rear coils no being same size or some crap lol.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just wish Mopar didn't make their stuff so expensive because its almost impossible to afford.

jake09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the superlift/mopar kit..superlift manufactures the kits..Do you want mopar just b/c warranty issues ? You could find a better deal going through superlift..

I wouldn't go mopar just bc you want to keep warranty..The warranty will not be voided unless the lift kits actually causes the failure. Most guys with aftermarket lifts have been able to get warranty work done with no probs. I guess some dealers can be hard to get along with though

Last edited:
OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the superlift/mopar kit..superlift manufactures the kits..Do you want mopar just b/c warranty issues ? You could find a better deal going through superlift..

I wouldn't go mopar just bc you want to keep warranty..The warranty will not be voided unless the lift kits actually causes the failure. Most guys with aftermarket lifts have been able to get warranty work done with no probs. I guess some dealers can be hard to get along with though

yeaa the only reason i was even considering the mopar kit was because then i wouldn't have to worry about warranty issues. now i'm actually thinking about maybe doing the 2.5 inch hell bent leveling kit though. I saw some pics in the forum of Rams with that kit and i'm loving the way they sit.

Roguebishop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well you gotta take into considerations sources. Most shops want you to go with a product they will get behind or know the ins and outs of. I went with RCX one for price and I found a dealer that installes that and procomp and sky jacker and he does 80% RCX and has no issues. had no problem warrantying myRCX as well.

I always believe in the installer. But you can always have your dealer install the lift as well.

and the known problem with rcx was a shock that came down to a powder coat issue of a manufacturing part that was fixed.

what are you using the lift for? cant blame a lift for getting stuck in wholes :)

Plenty of comps and no major changes to factory truck.

Roguebishop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
someone also told me if your already thinking lift a leveling kit aint gonna satisfy you :)

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
someone also told me if your already thinking lift a leveling kit aint gonna satisfy you :)

Haha you and me are on the same page because I can't really make up my mind. i keep thinking "nahh a leveling kit will be fine and so much cheaper", but then i start looking at the rough country kits and have a hard time not buying one on impulse. That 4 inch lift just looks so sexy! Not sure how it would look with my stock tires though. because i definitely do not have enough cash to get bigger tires/wheels.