2014 will not start....looking for direction please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

precisionmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I have a 2014 Ram Hemi 5.7 1500. I parked the truck Thursday at noon. Went to start Thursday @ 3pm, would not crank, only cranked. Tried to jump off a 1 ton, still no crank. Charged the battery over night, still nothing. Disconnected the battery for an hour, still nothing.

If I have the battery disconnected, I am getting about 12 volts off the battery. As soon as I hook up the battery, voltage drops to about 5 volts.

Any ideas? Please advise, thanks. -Mike

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bad cell in the battery. If you have a 1 ton to jump off of, connect it to the battery terminals of the dead truck not connected to the battery, I bet it starts. If it doesnt it might be the main fuse.

My truck did the same, the bad cell kept the truck from getting full power to start. I pulled the battery and replaced it with my jump box and it fired right up. I reconnected the battery while running, which was a nice spark show, then pulled the jump pack and dead again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

precisionmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bad cell in the battery. If you have a 1 ton to jump off of, connect it to the battery terminals of the dead truck not connected to the battery, I bet it starts. If it doesnt it might be the main fuse.

My truck did the same, the bad cell kept the truck from getting full power to start. I pulled the battery and replaced it with my jump box and it fired right up. I reconnected the battery while running, which was a nice spark show, then pulled the jump pack and dead again.

Thanks WilliamS. Its like I was reading your mind. I tried just that. Disconnected battery terminals from dead truck and test truck. Ran jumper cables from good truck battery to bad truck leads. Voltage stayed at about 12.5 while hooked up and even during crank, but it did not turn over.

I am going to look for the main fuse and check. If you are referring to the large one at the positive terminal, they both test good with a meter. If you are aware of another "main" fuse, I would certainly appreciate the input.

Thanks again!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Odds are you didnt have enough amperage over the cable to fire the truck. I have 1000 amp jump pack that will start nearly anything or weld stuff if it can't.

This does prove the battery is bad, start with step 1 and go get a new one. If you were able to crank the truck from the terminals that means the main fuse is fine.

Go get a battery, report back.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new Chrysler/ram/dodge vehicles are so sensitive to batteries/voltage. Electronics are starting to get scary... I LOVE how the minute anyone says “ Truck won’t start” everyone is like It’s the frikin battery... and sure as **** it always is. Glad you got it sorted op.