2015 Rusting on Rear Quarter Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Lovely. I just got my truck washed, a common thing here throughout the midwest winters. As I inspected it afterward I noticed little rust spots all over both rear quarter panels. It looks like someone was eating spaghetti and meatballs, dropped the meatball in the sauce, and it splattered all over the place. It looks like my dealership has some warranty work coming their way.

Anyone else run into this with their newer trucks?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those rust specs aren't the fault of the manufacturer. They are what's called industrial fallout, raildust etc.

You get them all over the lower portions of your vehicle during winter driving conditions from all the crap they throw on the roadways to de-ice them.

Easiest way to get it off is with a product made by Carpro called IronX. Other companies have products that work pretty much the same, but all I've ever used it the IronX.

People with white & silver vehicles have to contend with it most because it's so much more visible on those paint finishes.

You just wash your truck, then after you're done, spray down the areas you see the specs & watch it work....turns the rust specs purple as it dissolves them. I use a sponge & more spray on stubborn areas to get rid of them. Other people swear by finishing the process off with a clay, but I don't use the clay....I'm a bit leary of the clay marring my finish. I'm not that confident in my detailing skills.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/rail_dust_anyone-5755/

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuJX2EjJYw

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old 2012 had this as well and my buddy told me to use Super Clean. It took a lot of elbow grease because it was everywhere! Make sure it is nice and sunny outside when you do it so you can check all angles while cleaning.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Those rust specs aren't the fault of the manufacturer. They are what's called industrial fallout, raildust etc.

You get them all over the lower portions of your vehicle during winter driving conditions from all the crap they throw on the roadways to de-ice them.

Easiest way to get it off is with a product made by Carpro called IronX. Other companies have products that work pretty much the same, but all I've ever used it the IronX.

People with white & silver vehicles have to contend with it most because it's so much more visible on those paint finishes.

You just wash your truck, then after you're done, spray down the areas you see the specs & watch it work....turns the rust specs purple as it dissolves them. I use a sponge & more spray on stubborn areas to get rid of them. Other people swear by finishing the process off with a clay, but I don't use the clay....I'm a bit leary of the clay marring my finish. I'm not that confident in my detailing skills.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/rail_dust_anyone-5755/

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuJX2EjJYw
I didn't know there was such a product! I always scrubbed mine off! I'll give this a shot this spring!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, what others said....most likely "rail dust". Once you clean it off you will still get it, but it will be coming from your own brakes. Every year I clay bar my truck for mainly this reason.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I need this stuff for my bright white Challenger. THX!

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Quint

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Interesting. I appreciate the IronX and Super Clean info.

I've done some reading since and have learned a lot. I'm now wondering why I never saw this on my white 2003 F150 or my white 2006 Ranger, but it's here now and I've got to deal with it.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to remove and re-wax or is the standard company line that it's not their fault?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. I appreciate the IronX and Super Clean info.

I've done some reading since and have learned a lot. I'm now wondering why I never saw this on my white 2003 F150 or my white 2006 Ranger, but it's here now and I've got to deal with it.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to remove and re-wax or is the standard company line that it's not their fault?

To be quite honest, given the average skill level of the employees that work in the "get ready" section at most dealerships, I'm afraid that they would do more damage to your vehicle trying to fix the problem. I'd recommend you do it yourself or have a professional detail shop do it.
Jay

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To be quite honest, given the average skill level of the employees that work in the "get ready" section at most dealerships, I'm afraid that they would do more damage to your vehicle trying to fix the problem. I'd recommend you do it yourself or have a professional detail shop do it.

Jay

I always tell them not to clean my car prior to me taking delivery. I'm going to clean it properly once I bring it home anyway, so I don't need to add an opportunity for them to cause any extra damage.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how IronX reacts with the vinyl decals on our trucks?....like the sport hood stripes. I have Mopar 16 edition that also has the stripes down the sides.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how IronX reacts with the vinyl decals on our trucks?....like the sport hood stripes. I have Mopar 16 edition that also has the stripes down the sides.

Just email the owner of Carpro & ask that question. He's very good to deal with & very knowledgeable.

[email protected]

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending on price of that stuff....few bottles a summer then again winter.

It may just be cheaper to paint a box every decade?? I dunno.

Go driving lots. The way people drive you'll likely get a new paint job out of someone's insurance.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on price of that stuff....few bottles a summer then again winter.

It may just be cheaper to paint a box every decade?? I dunno.

Go driving lots. The way people drive you'll likely get a new paint job out of someone's insurance.

The 1 litre bottle costs about $33 US.

I use it once a season after the winter. I get 2-3 seasons out of a bottle. You only really need to use it on the lower half of the vehicle.