Aluminum vs fiberglass tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
I'm looking to get a tonneau cover and looking at a couple of Bakflips (along with a couple of Extang). The Bakflip F1 and the MX4. I like the matte look of the MX4, but the dealer is recommending the F1 because the fiberglass on it is much more durable than the aluminum on the MX4. He said the aluminum will dent in even the lightest hail and I live in Kansas so it's going to hail on occasion. I don't like the gloss finish on the F1. Btw, he has the F1 for $50 cheaper so he's not trying to up sale me. Has anybody had an issue with the aluminum denting easily?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it does dent easily. I had a Bakflip on my last truck and the truck accessary place I bought it from told me he stopped selling the aluminum ones because every time it hailed he would have people wanting to return theirs because they were dented. I have also seen trucks running around town with dented aluminum covers.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had a g2 on my f150. It's got a 350# rating and on a camping trip we put my kids bikes on top of it. I didn't strap them down too tight because I didn't want to damage the cover and still ended up with a small dent in it.

On another camping trip I put my son's power wheel truck on top and the wheels scratched the cover up like crazy. I was really surprised the wheels scratched the cover.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the undercover on mine. It's neither. Mines ABS plastic that is really think and looks and feels like fiberglass. Mine is also painted. Had it for 4 years without any issues.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The aluminum will dent and as stated above, scratches pretty easy. I had the G2 on my HD and my father in law tossed metal chairs on while moving around the camp ground, needless to say I was not a happy camper afterwards. Nothing major but you could see them. I did get some small dents after a pretty decent hailstorm, again nothing bad but it was my truck so I always saw the dents. Oh ya, the aluminum gets WAY HOTTER to the touch! I have the F1 now, going on almost 5 years. Just my $0.02

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the undercover on mine. It's neither. Mines ABS plastic that is really think and looks and feels like fiberglass. Mine is also painted. Had it for 4 years without any issues.

How heavy is the undercover, and how easy is it to remove?