Front Bumper Skin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somehow hooked my front airdam on a snow bank while head in parking today. When backing off, it pulled and cracked my front skin around the passanger side fog light. How hard is this to change? Anyone know? Can I order the skin pre painted?

Am I better off looking at after market bumpers now?

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've found these skins on Craigslist for $120-160. There are also shops that can repair them for a pretty decent price. Maybe you'll find something similar locally.

As far as changing it, JJ did a write-up on changing fogs on Sports, which requires removal of the front bumper. This should give you a good idea of what's involved:
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_fog_light_removal_-_4th_gen_sports-10227/

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks John. I just looked at the mopar parts site and found the skin for $377 from mopar in case I have to go that route. I assume it would need painting then, tho.

It really broke very easy. That's why I'm considering an aftermarket bumper swap to something a little beefier.

I'm gonna let my body guy see it tomorrow and see what he says.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry about your truck, man. It's bad enough when some other bonehead damages it.. It hurts a little more when you're the bonehead.
I just backed into a tree limb in mine this morning because my windows and backup camera were fogged up and I was busy watching the cars on either side.. Pushed my new tonneau cover into the tailgate and scratched it.
The good news is, that Ranch Sportwrap you asked about held up very well. Not a scratch on it.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a nice bumper but, for $800+, it better make me invisible to Highway Patrol and traffic light cams. :D

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not going to do that, but it isn't going to get chipped or cracked either.
That front facia on my Ram is pretty flimsy.
Not like the good old days when a truck had steel front and rear.
I'm afraid to park in the city with it. It really didn't take much of a tug on it to crack it today. Me and my friends were like, seriously???

I love the way my truck looks, but if its gonna take a few hundred to fix what's there, I'm thinking I might be better off just upgrading to something stronger. I have a feeling this won't be the last time I'm repairing that bumper skin if I keep it.

The rear bumper has the same kind of flimsy skin over it too……...

Last edited:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With snow banks and stuff like that to deal with, I can see why you'd look for something stronger. I didn't know they changed the rear bumpers. At least my 2012's back bumper is steel.
Texas is flat enough I don't really have to worry and it doesn't snow here very much, but I still hesitate to lower mine, just because of things like this.

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to double check, but the rear bumper is actually painted steel. The front is a one piece plastic facia from under the headlights all the way to the airdam though. I think there is a steel bumper underneath it.

I guess I'll see what it costs to repair tomorrow and then decide what to do.

I've had corvettes with spoilers that didn't break as easy as this truck did.

Some pics. First one with no damage of the whole truck. You can see how big that front facia piece is. Second two in close on the damage.
photo2.jpg
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1889.jpg

Last edited:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, yours is exactly like my Sport, aside from my fogs being horizontal. It's not nice to find out they're so easily broken.
I'm almost tempted to buy the one I found locally for $120 just for a backup..lol
If you're friends with your body guy, I bet it won't be much to repair this and re-paint it.
I used to do fleet maintenance for a cab company and we would send these out and have them reconditioned, dirt cheap.
That was 15+ years ago, so I wouldn't have a current price estimate, but considering this isn't new technology, the prices shouldn't have gotten too crazy.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
ouch dud that sucks hopefully u can get it fixed cheep otherwise that new bumper u posted the link for looks Bad A$$ but pricy gl

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck getting the bumper fixed on the cheap side man. Otherwise that N-Fab bumper looks bada**

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I'll know more tomorrow. I don't want to run something like this thru insurance and have an accident on the vin number forever.

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$800 to fix the front sport/express bumper.
Includes new bumper cover, painting, and installation. Lifetime warrantee on the paint. I'm going to fix it this time and see how it goes.
Its a highly regarded shop that does a lot of custom restoration work on collectibles, as well as collision repair.
They are a block from where I work.
The guy is ordering the cover with no deposit. He wants me to stop in when he gets it to make sure he's got the right cover before he paints it.
Once its painted I can drop off the truck in the morning and pick it up the same day.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy ****... you could just get that bumper you linked to for a little more and be done with it.
Surely there's a less expensive option.

OP
OP
NYCruiser

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know. It is what it is. The part is about $300, $500 labor and painting. I'm hoping it was a freak accident and won't be needed again.

The guy also did suggest possibly getting a steel chrome bumper from a non express and letting him mod it with a little fabrication to look closer to an express and paint it black.
I thought that was an interesting idea.
Maybe when the truck isn't brand new I can find a cheaper bumper in a junk yard and let him at it.

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a nice bumper but, for $800+, it better make me invisible to Highway Patrol and traffic light cams. :D

Traffic cams you can fight in court. They are a violation of constitutional rights. You have the right to face your accuser. I have had mine thrown out.