Help Find Source of Annoying Rattle, Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2014 1500 RCSB has developed an annoying rattle when going over rough sections of road. It is only noticeable when the rear slider window is open. The noise is not noticeable with the slider closed and the door windows down.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the tailgate is the culprit. Just hoping someone has some some similar experience and can share some insight into solving this problem before I involve the dealer.

This noise is seriously driving me nuts.

Thanks for reading.

Edit - definitely not the trailer hitch, the ball is removed and everything is good and tight

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Sit in the box and have someone drive over bumps on a back road or somewhere safe, you should be able to locate the noise then. GL.

Mayh3m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sit in the box and have someone drive over bumps on a back road or somewhere safe, you should be able to locate the noise then. GL.

Or just don't open the back window or avoid the rough roads :roflsquared: Problem solved..

But seriously.. How fast are you traveling where hearing the rattle? Rough(ish) road would indicate a slower but likely steady pace.

OP
OP
T

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the rattle is most noticeable at around 30-50km/h (19-31 mph). I believe at higher speeds, the road noise starts to drown it out.

Good call on riding in the back and trying to source it out. I'll just have to find a lonely stretch of road, the cops frown upon that here.

Kind of annoying seeing as how my truck only has 5600 km (3500 miles) on it. It is quite literally a Sunday driver.

I guess i could remove the tailgate to see if the noise goes away, too.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Does it sound like metal on metal? Do you have a plastic bed liner, tonue cover, cap? Check your muffler heat shields,

I have a lake front hand built cabin on lac Morrisett in Blue Sea, Quebec. No cops for hours.

Last edited:

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a rattle in my tailgate turns out I left a small pry bar in there when I installed my back up cam. Ha.

The arms that release the latches inside the tailgate have these little foam tubes on them to prevent rattling maybe yours moved or fell off or something

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured it out, boys.

The tool who installed my 18" Magnaflow muffler somehow managed to leave the factory tailpipes only about 3/16" apart. When I grabbed each pipe and started reefing on them, they started to clink and rattle together, making that annoying sound.

Not a waste of time, the other suggestions though. A few of the heat shields were less than solidly mounted and have now been squared away. I lubed and snugged up the spare tire hoist as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

The muffler guy butchered the factory pipes. Upon closer inspection almost all the welds have leaks. So I guess I am going to get the Magnaflow 16869 stainless catback after all. I guess it is true, you get what you pay for. Lesson learned.