Install tonneau cover w/drop in bedliner...might do a spray-in bed liner later...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally intended to get a spray-in bed liner from day one. As luck would have it...the truck I settled on happened to have a drop-in bed liner. I was never really a fan of drop-ins (my last truck had a spray in bed-liner), but this one looks like it was either never used, or only had occasional light usage.

I'm a big "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" person, so I'm leaning towards just leaving the drop-in bed liner in there. My question...if I go ahead and install a tonneau cover (ex. Paragon), would it be a major pita (ex. Risk breaking or bending install brackets) to remove the whole system if I decide to have a spray-in bed liner put in down the line? Thank you.:favorites13:

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i was originally looking at the Peragon, but decided against it because if you're trying to keep something dry, and there is standing water on a peragon cover, it's all going to go into your bed when you collapse the panels.
For your install with a drop in liner, you'll have to drill holes for the peragon, and my concern is that those holes might now line up properly if the drop in liner is removed and you go with a spray in one down the road.
With some of the flip covers (undercover Flex is what i landed on), there are no holes to drill and you should be able to go from a drop in liner to a sprayed one with little hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was originally looking at the Peragon, but decided against it because if you're trying to keep something dry, and there is standing water on a peragon cover, it's all going to go into your bed when you collapse the panels.

For your install with a drop in liner, you'll have to drill holes for the peragon, and my concern is that those holes might now line up properly if the drop in liner is removed and you go with a spray in one down the road.
With some of the flip covers (undercover Flex is what i landed on), there are no holes to drill and you should be able to go from a drop in liner to a sprayed one with little hassle.

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I would prefer to not have to drill holes.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

With the Bakflip, since these clamp to the rail, you can install on either a drop in or spray in with no modification needed.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took me a minute, but I finally got it done yesterday. Went with the Undercover Flex. It was funny...stopped at Moe's to get burritos on the way home and pulled in next to a Sierra 1500 with the same cover. This one must be fairly common.

I would have liked to get the bed liner done first, but there's pretty much zero information floating around about the shops in my area. Until I can get some decent feedback on that, I'll just live with the drop in.

1428DC64-80F0-4FF0-B90F-8C37BA70B9EC_zpstxvvipfg.jpg

Last edited:

reynoldsr586

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hero
It took me a minute, but I finally got it done yesterday. Went with the Undercover Flex. It was funny...stopped at Moe's to get burritos on the way home and pulled in next to a Sierra 1500 with the same cover. This one must be fairly common.

I would have liked to get the bed liner done first, but there's pretty much zero information floating around about the shops in my area. Until I can get some decent feedback on that, I'll just live with the drop in.

I have the back flip as well have you had it long? They aren't supposed to leak and mine does. Any body have any suggestions? I have a spray in Bedliner that came stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the back flip as well have you had it long? They aren't supposed to leak and mine does. Any body have any suggestions? I have a spray in Bedliner that came stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is the Undercover brand. I just got it.

Tri-folds are not waterproof. They are water resistant. Only the one piece caps that go over the edge of the bed are really waterproof.

That being said...only a small amount of water should be able to make its way into the bed. If your stuff is getting soaked, I'm assuming your cover needs to be adjusted and/or one or more components is faulty.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We got quarter to golf ball sized hail yesterday. Lots of dings on the hood of the truck. Not a mark on the cover though. Pretty impressed.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just finished the final installation of my BackFlip MX4.
When i bought the truck in December she had a Pentatliner under rail drop-in and bed caps.
I installed the BackFlip MX4 and all fine so far, but i wanted a spray-in bedliner and went last week to have Rhino Linings sprayed in, including a thinner layer under the bed caps.
I did the spray-in as the Pentaliner scuffed the color off the bed and surface rust appeared. This is the problem of drop-in bed liners as they vibrate and scuff the color off leading to rust in the bed.

So Rhino Linings in San Jose Costa Rica did a great job spraying my bed, but when in reinstalled the BackFlip MX4 the layer of Rhino Linings reduced the bed's with enough to create problems with closing the MX4 as the rails where too near and the latch got stuck.
Today i took the bed caps off and cut the cap's inner lip to get the space back in order to close the MX4 without hassle.
Operation successful, the BackFlip MX4 closes and opens now easy and without applying force.

I still have the old Pentaliner and i am consider to reinstall it for added protection as the spray-in bed liner don't protect the bed from dings and nicks.

In any case keep in mind that you may have to modify your bed caps after spraying the bed liner!

Chris

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

Wow that undercover looks exactly like a backflip

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow that undercover looks exactly like a backflip

They're very similar, especially since they're now owned by the same company.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the Undercover Flex...any idea if I can buy replacement screws from Home Depot, Lowe's or anywhere else? Any idea what size they are?

I did a good job of checking these screws periodically for the first year or so. They would back out a bit and I'd tighten them up. Amusing...considering the top with install was pushing $950. The screws started popping out a few months ago. I would manage to find them in the bed and put them back in. I guess it's my bad for not putting loctite on them, lol. I'm missing a few of them at this point.

Summary of this top: Looks great (had a guy driving a Ram stop me and asked where I got it the other day), convenient/functional, the screws fall out, and has done a **** poor job of keeping water out of the bed since day one. I don't think the two drain tubes (positioned to drain out of the bed) do anything.

If I want stuff in the bed to not get soaked while driving during a rainstorm, I either have to put said stuff in plastic totes or put the stuff in the cab.
GIFnaMA.jpg
GIFnaMA

Last edited: