Installed Carven Exhaust 5" Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a horror story acutally. Was going to keep it to myself but I'll share now lol. My driver side came off SO EASY. Literally just grabbed the socket wrench with a 13mm socket and started turning. Loosened no problem. I loosened it the entire way to where the bolt is no longer holding it together. After that it's just some muscle to wiggle/pull it off. Grabbed the tip and pulled sideways and it came right off.

Now then, the passenger side. Same thing grabbed the socket wrench got down and started turning, thinking to myself "hell yea this is easy go me!" and during the 3rd turn of the wrench I get the awful sound that metal makes when under pressure and SNAP! bolt head came clean off :( Had to get out the drill, which of course had a dead battery, and drill through the damn bolt. Roughly half an hour (15 min power charge) and 2 broken drill bits later, SUCCESS!!!

Once I had the clamp undone the fun was not over. It was damn near welded on that side. Literally took a screwdriver and hammer to it trying to knock it loose with no luck. So I'm laying under the truck on my back horizontal and had to hold on to the factory tip with both hands and then I put both feet on the rear passenger tire and pulled so hard my entire body was literally up off the ground. Then it busted loose all of a sudden and smacked me right in the damn chest lol. Try to make a mental picture of that scenario :)

Lol that is awesome! Too bad you don't have that on video. That would have been awesome to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BCA87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually chuckled out loud to this picturing myself doing it. The **** we have to do sometimes to make it work. Good to know I'm not the only one that finds myself in wtf am I supposed to do now moments. Thanks for sharing. Lol.

AMEN!
Yea there was no way I was giving up. My fiance tried to tell me to just wait until the next day to borrow her dad's dremel and hack it off. No way I wanted to drive around with two different tips!
Whatever it takes! :favorites13:

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to get any socket around it. No dice. Looks like Im using the grinder this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you! Yes, the price is a little rough to choke down. But with that said, I love how they engineered these and made a full catback system unnecessary. Replace the muffler and tips with something bolt on, say $289 for the muffler and $200 for the tips, add in shipping costs and tax, but save yourself money by doing the work yourself, I've got a nice sound and a little bit of customization for roughly $550. Compare that to around $800 for the full catback setup that gives basically the same result. I'm happy!

These are the two options that I know of that are direct plug n play bolt on tips. Carven and Moe's. There are a lot more options out there if you go with something that needs welded on and they are much cheaper. But then you have to weld them or get that done so add in that time and cost as well.
Ram Truck 1500 2009-2017 Direct Fit 5" Exhaust Tip Replacement Set - Tips & Accessories - Products
Moe's Performance 5" Stainless Steel Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips 2009-Up Ram 1500
Those look good in place.
I did something very similar with a 24" Mufflex and the Moe's 5" tips. Biggest difference besides chrome finish is that Moe's tips are very deep, 5" diameter almost all the way back to the coupling. This takes a really good burble note form the muffler and gives a deeper, almost echo-like sound. Reminds me of the way my buddies '69 GTO sounded in the day.

Openclasspro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice

Doing those tips with the j hook bend , debating on the mufflex 14" or the carven aggressive ,deciscions

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wish I had the room to put the 5" tips on my rig. My bed step is in the way... LOL! Priorities. :)

Adam

Openclasspro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice

Doing those tips with the j hook bend , debating on the mufflex 14" or the carven aggressive ,deciscions

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're welcome! If you don't have that cluster of a mess I got, It really is a 15 min install. Even quicker if you have an extra pair of hands to just hold the tip in place while you hold onto the clamp and wrench!

You don't happen to know the part number do you? I ordered them off of amazon, but they were not the right clamps.

OP
OP
B

BCA87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't happen to know the part number do you? I ordered them off of amazon, but they were not the right clamps.

It's a 3 inch wide band clamp.
Any brand would work but it's Mopar Part # 4578916AB

Advanced Auto - Not the exact set I got from my store but same thing. If you have one near you then save some time and money and go grab it in store. I did!
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...s&gclid=CMKBwe7jztMCFdhKDQodjIUHHA#fragment-2

Here it is on Amazon if you need
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-4578916AB-Exhaust-Clamp/dp/B00FWNWWQ0

Were you able to get your stock one's off yet? What was the issue that you couldn't get a wrench up there? I was able to get an entire drill in there when the one bolt head busted off.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant get a socket around them to grab at all, to rusted. Have a grinder to get em off but didnt wanna do it until I had the new clamps.

OP
OP
B

BCA87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant get a socket around them to grab at all, to rusted. Have a grinder to get em off but didnt wanna do it until I had the new clamps.

Ok I gotcha. Damn what a pain! Yea run over to your local Auto parts store and get a set of clamps for about $12 and just hack the others off. Feel free to post pics when you're finished, good luck Friend!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990