LED light bars in bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I finally got around to putting LED light bars in my non-Sport bumper. I used the tow hook openings in the lower bumper. Obviously the tow hooks had to be removed, but it didn't really matter to me. I had my other truck for 10 years and never used them.

I ended up getting 9.5" Amazon specials. I actually tried a couple a different sizes before ending up with these. These were the largest light that I could fit without doing some serious fab work. The bracket behind the bumper is the limiting factor on the width.

I made a couple of simple mounting brackets out of angle iron. These I mounted to the existing bumper with a couple of bolts. I had to drill two holes through the bumper support.

DSCF0422.JPG DSCF0425.JPG

I didn't really like the look of the lights as they came, too much chrome. I remember seeing another member that had painted the reflectors and liked that look so that's what I did.

DSCF0414.JPG

These lights also came with an acrylic lens which I replaced with lexan. Given how low the lights are I figured the added impact resistance would be a good idea.

DSCF0434.JPG DSCF0436.JPG

I'll try to get some output pics tonight.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
How did you wire them in?

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you wire them in?

They're wired to my Switch-Pros panel.

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/switch-pros_install-82040/

The controller handles all relay functions and keeps me from having to run any additional wires into the cab. Run the switch panel connector once and then everything else stays under the hood. Easy-peasy.

For the wiring itself I used weatherpack connectors to make all the connections and used 16ga SJOOW from the lights to the controller.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wish I would have realized things like this were around when I wired mine. As I'm getting ready to add a bunch more lighting, I'm now thinking I need to redo the original wiring and use something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wish I would have realized things like this were around when I wired mine. As I'm getting ready to add a bunch more lighting, I'm now thinking I need to redo the original wiring and use something like this.

I discovered it while searching for an alternative to the Carling switches. I'd already bought some switches and had a relay panel/fuse panel also. I was having a heck of a time figuring out where to put relay panel as it was kind of bulky. I really liked the Carling switches, but I didn't want to cut into anything in my interior to mount them and several ideas that I had for fabricating a mount didn't pan out.

All this sent me back to the drawing board. The SPod is a neat solution for underhood, but still uses the Carling switches. Once I saw some of the info for the Switch-Pros I was sold. It won best new product at SEMA in 2015 and I can see why given all it does. Eights switches is way more than I need right now, but... never say never.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They're wired to my Switch-Pros panel.

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/switch-pros_install-82040/

The controller handles all relay functions and keeps me from having to run any additional wires into the cab. Run the switch panel connector once and then everything else stays under the hood. Easy-peasy.

For the wiring itself I used weatherpack connectors to make all the connections and used 16ga SJOOW from the lights to the controller.

Wow, thats pretty bad ass..How much does that thing run?

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks really good. You know you jinxed yourself right? I foresee a need for the tow hooks in the near future.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Haha. Has anyone ever "needed" the tow hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got a link to those 9.5" Amazon LED's?

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Bringing this thread back from the depths.

I just did this mod and am pleased with how it turned out... Except for one thing.
I had to do my mounting bracket a bit different and I don't have very much adjustment.
Rather I should say, I have zero adjustment on the lights.

I built my mount so that the light bracket bolt is mounted flat or horizontal behind the light rather than vertical underneath the light like most mounts you see. (Sorry no pics)

Right now they point too close to the ground, and my adjustment swivels are maxed out.

My question to Swine is, "If I build some brackets like yours will I be able to fine tune the direction of the light output?"

Also, it being several months down the road after your install, are you still happy with how it turned out?

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing this thread back from the depths.

I just did this mod and am pleased with how it turned out... Except for one thing.
I had to do my mounting bracket a bit different and I don't have very much adjustment.
Rather I should say, I have zero adjustment on the lights.

I built my mount so that the light bracket bolt is mounted flat or horizontal behind the light rather than vertical underneath the light like most mounts you see. (Sorry no pics)

Right now they point too close to the ground, and my adjustment swivels are maxed out.

My question to Swine is, "If I build some brackets like yours will I be able to fine tune the direction of the light output?"

Also, it being several months down the road after your install, are you still happy with how it turned out?

I considered placing the mount behind the light, but as you've discovered, it doesn't allow for enough adjustment. Mounting from the bottom will solve that. I also left enough space between the light housing and that annoying bumper bracket to position the light without hitting anything.

I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I don't think I would do anything different.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll try to get some output pics tonight.

Any word on this? I just feel that threads on lighting mods must also have some night shots :)