Mopar soft tri-fold tonneau problems, help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a pre-owned 2016 Ram and it was ordered with the factory Mopar soft tri-fold tonneau cover. I really like the cover and the fact that it is Mopar. However, it slides backwards upon acceleration and the clamps/latches seem loose. I can not, for the life of me, figure out a way to tighten them up. Any suggestions? Oh and this cover has four plastic latch handles, with wire and yellow rubber cups that secure it...

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the cover came with the truck? If so, it sounds like you're not clamping it on right. My latches have a yellow "hook" that grabs the rail and when you bring that latch up, it grabs it nice and tight. Does your truck have the utility rails installed?

OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the cover came with the truck? If so, it sounds like you're not clamping it on right. My latches have a yellow "hook" that grabs the rail and when you bring that latch up, it grabs it nice and tight. Does your truck have the utility rails installed?

Yes it came with the truck. I am clamping it on correctly, they are just loose and they do not grab tight. I have not looked at the clamping mechanism closely, maybe there is some adjusting that I can do to increase the clamping pressure? oh and no utility rails.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I recall correctly there are two bolts holding the latch to the covers frame. I think the bolts go through a slot rather than a hole so that you can slide it so that the latch grabs tightly. Since the hook is attached to the latch, moving the latch closer to the center of the bed should tighten up the distance between the hook and rail.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You could try going on Mopar.com and finding the cover under accessories. There should be a downloadable PDF with instructions.

OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try going on Mopar.com and finding the cover under accessories. There should be a downloadable PDF with instructions.

Thank you, that is what I thought about right away. It seems like they (Mopar) are no longer offering this particular design, so no instructions...figures!

OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I recall correctly there are two bolts holding the latch to the covers frame. I think the bolts go through a slot rather than a hole so that you can slide it so that the latch grabs tightly. Since the hook is attached to the latch, moving the latch closer to the center of the bed should tighten up the distance between the hook and rail.

Thank you, I will have to take a closer look at them. I kind of recall seeing that too!...I guess I will have to try that on all four of them. I sure do like the tonneau cover otherwise.

OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

I agree. I just don't have the time to take it in just for the service department to adjust it, if I can do the same. Not to mention, I am not a fan of other people crawling around on my truck!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the same cover and had the same loose issue. You are correct and that's how I fixed mine. Doesn't move at all anymore.

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
When I installed mine there was two different positions for the clamps. On a few of them I had to use the second notch to make if fit tighter. It should not move at all.

FFJMo23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Bighorny, Having same problem. And it leaks. Ill have to put some foam tape between the side and plastic bed insert. But what did you do to make it tighter? The nuts on the latch system don't move and i can't figure out how to get under the latch, to get to the screw, without removing the fabric and i don't know how to do that. First ram ever, and first tonneau.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
How did you fix this?
I'm having the same problem, but it's more than likely that I bought the wrong cover.