Need a new frame/chassis - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74td

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2012 4x4 quad cab that was wrecked.
My plan is to put my 74 Trailduster body on top of the chassis but it is bent pretty bad down the passenger side.

I called the local dealer and they said based on my VIN, I need chassis # 68217854AA which lists for $4895

All the online mopar catalogs show my truck using # 68138171AD which sells for about $1000.

I'd rather spend less money if the drive train will all bolt up but I have no idea what the difference is between the parts.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

jthesby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bad is it? Depending a frame shop might be able to get it fixed for cheaper....

OP
OP

74td

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How bad is it? Depending a frame shop might be able to get it fixed for cheaper....

The insurance totaled it with a $28k value.
I think most of the damage is in the frame.

The frame horn on the passenger side in front of the suspension cross-member is completely crushed like a beer can. The cross-member itself is bent back a couple inches at least and the drivers side is pulled over towards the passenger enough to split the welds at the cross-member.
There are two more large visible bends behind the front suspension, one where the frame arcs back down at the cab/wheel well, and another next to the transmission cross-member.
The tranny mount is broken on the passenger side and there is about an inch gap. Probably because the motor is pushed over from front end.

It starts and drives but not at all straight. Pulling it straight on to the trailer, the back wheels were about 6 inches off to the right.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Build a custom chassis out of 2x4 tubing! Way cheaper and 100% more badass!

OP
OP

74td

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Build a custom chassis out of 2x4 tubing! Way cheaper and 100% more badass!

That would be cool but unless I already had a jig for it that would take a lot of time and I don't have good reference points. The suspension mounts are also integrated in to the frame. It's a 1500 so it has coils.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like it's bent up pretty good. I don't know anything about frames, but it seems like when it's something major like this, your going to be fighting for either time to fix it right or spending the money to get it done right. When it comes to the frame, take your time, and do it right if you can't spend the money to fix it.

Also, any pics of it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would be cool but unless I already had a jig for it that would take a lot of time and I don't have good reference points. The suspension mounts are also integrated in to the frame. It's a 1500 so it has coils.

Oooo I gotcha.:shake: Damaged frame to me seems like I'd pull the engine, trans and t-case. Ditch the rest of the truck. Put it on a real chassis with real axles.

OP
OP

74td

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oooo I gotcha.:shake: Damaged frame to me seems like I'd pull the engine, trans and t-case. Ditch the rest of the truck. Put it on a real chassis with real axles.

Yeah, this is just to run around dirt roads with and maybe some sand washes. Nothing hardcore. I got the whole truck for less than it would have cost to rebuild the driveline in my 74 and it will last a heck of a lot longer if I don't abuse it. It seemed like something was always going out on the 74.. wheel bearings, ball joints, something on the motor...