New tire take off replacement: DuraTrac vs BFG KO2 in stock 20"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've searched the forums and found some good info on tires and I know we beat the dead horse but now it's time for me to make my tire selection and I need your advice.

New 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn delivery in a week or so and you folks have educated me in that the GY SR-A's are worthless other than maybe good highway mileage. I don't drive a lot of highway miles, mostly suburban and rural and maybe 25% highway driving if that much.

I don't want to stay with the SR-A's and regret the decision for a few years until I wear them out.

I looking for a more aggressive looking tire in stock size. I'm not going to do a lift so I assume the stock tire size will not rub the inner fender walls with the DuraTrac or BFG KO2's. True??

A tire dealer near me will do new tire take offs as long as the SR-A's have less than 200 - 300 miles on them.

The price between the GY DuraTrac ($815) and the BFG KO2's ($866) is only $51 with the trade in. Basically, the price is close enough that that won't influence my decision.

The Ram has the 4-corner air suspension of that makes any difference.

In the end I probably think both tires are good tires, but everyone has their own preference.

What do you guys think between the 2 tires and feel free to post up some photos of your trucks with these tires.

Last edited:

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
New tire take off replacement: DuraTrac vs BFG KO2 in stock 20"

I know a guy that is running 275-65r20 on a stock 2016 ram 1500 Laramie with air ride and no rubbing so u will be fine in stock range.

I have no input on what tires to get but IMHO the ko2 looks better and that's what I am going to put on myn in a 275-65r20. Stock is a 33" tire and a 275-65 is a 34" tire.

Also if u want a free 2" lift swap the rear air ride sensor links with the front and put the from on the back. I have 6000 miles with it like this with no problems and it still rides like stock.
Here's myn with the 2" lift.
e9be42118a6ab6791b7b8c2133a815fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The KO2 will be more civilized than the Dura-Tracs, and be better on asphalt. I'd go with the KO2 in stock size (275/60R20 "D") rather than the Dura-Tracs.

I'm waiting to burn off my stock tires before I go KO2 as well.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dura-Tracs don't last very long. Most folks are getting 28-32K miles out of them. My newish truck already needs new tires and the miles aren't that high.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i seen several threads where people like the bf goodrich ko2

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a lot of love being shown for the DuraTracs. Interesting, I thought it would be divided closer between the two tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like the KO2's on my truck. Ha ven't tried the DuraTrac's yet. Prior to the KO2's I had Toyo AT's and those are pretty darn good tires as well.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've searched the forums and found some good info on tires and I know we beat the dead horse but now it's time for me to make my tire selection and I need your advice.

New 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn delivery in a week or so and you folks have educated me in that the GY SR-A's are worthless other than maybe good highway mileage. I don't drive a lot of highway miles, mostly suburban and rural and maybe 25% highway driving if that much.

I don't want to stay with the SR-A's and regret the decision for a few years until I wear them out.

I looking for a more aggressive looking tire in stock size. I'm not going to do a lift so I assume the stock tire size will not rub the inner fender walls with the DuraTrac or BFG KO2's. True??

A tire dealer near me will do new tire take offs as long as the SR-A's have less than 200 - 300 miles on them.

The price between the GY DuraTrac ($815) and the BFG KO2's ($866) is only $51 with the trade in. Basically, the price is close enough that that won't influence my decision.

The Ram has the 4-corner air suspension of that makes any difference.

In the end I probably think both tires are good tires, but everyone has their own preference.

What do you guys think between the 2 tires and feel free to post up some photos of your trucks with these tires.

I chose the K02s in stock size. When I got them no one had them. Now I see them on abotu every 10th truck I see. Doesnt help tat Costco is now selling them either.

Attachments

• 2015-05-30 16.58.39.jpg
    2015-05-30 16.58.39.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4,144

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't had either but given the choice I'd go with the KO2s. Smiley got 77k out of a set of KOs...

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I love my duratracs, they'll be going on my next truck too. They're unreal in the winter, plus they look great. Not sure on wear, they look close to new with 26,000 kms on them now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had Duratracs on different trucks and I loved them. They look great and are amazing in the snow. With that said they will more then likely be going on my next truck.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately I can not comment on the longevity of the Duratracs as the only miles I had on a set were around 17k. For 17k they looked pretty good with one tire rotation thrown in the mix.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got about 16k on my KO2's and still happy. I'll take a measure and see how much tread is left but they look to be wearing well.

Couple of observations:

They are louder than expected but not loud like a MT, it's a pleasant sound to me

They get louder if they start wearing irregular, make sure to rotate if this starts!

They perform great in the sand, especially in the deep stuff. Only real offroad environment I've tested them in (on the Eglin AFB Reservation)

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm glad this thread was started...these are the two tires I keep going back and forth with too. I still have the POS stock goodyears on my truck. 33k miles and they're dead. I've been looking at the duratracs and KO2s, and also have been thinking about the goodyear wranglers with kevlar.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been more of a favorable opinion on the dur tracs. i normally hear awesome stuff about them on and off road.

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Axle Ratio 3.21 vs 3.92

Does the axle ratio play into which would be a better tire for a 3.21 rear vs the 3.92?

I know both tires weigh more than the stock GY and the BFG KO2 is the heaviest one. Can the 3.21 handle the BFG or would the DuraTracs be a better choice.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm glad this thread was started...these are the two tires I keep going back and forth with too. I still have the POS stock goodyears on my truck. 33k miles and they're dead. I've been looking at the duratracs and KO2s, and also have been thinking about the goodyear wranglers with kevlar.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been more of a favorable opinion on the dur tracs. i normally hear awesome stuff about them on and off road.
I liked the pos stock goodyears better then the ko2's lol, man i miss the duratracs