OEM Mud/Splash Guards with WTW Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I installed the Mopar OEM molded rear splash guards and I am super happy with them and would really like to put them on the front also. Problem is, I have the wheel to wheel side steps and the front molded ones don't fit. Does anyone have any idea on how to make it work?? I have heard of someone taking the black cap off the steps and cutting it down so they fit. I'm pretty particular with things when it comes to my truck so I dont want it to look like crap. Any monkey could take a sawzall to it. Anyone made it work and look nice?? I have a white truck and its been super rainy and muddy here in Wisconsin the last week. There is mud flung all the way up my front doors and the back looks clean after putting them on. So I really want to get the matching ones for the front.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
So, I installed the Mopar OEM molded rear splash guards and I am super happy with them and would really like to put them on the front also. Problem is, I have the wheel to wheel side steps and the front molded ones don't fit. Does anyone have any idea on how to make it work?? I have heard of someone taking the black cap off the steps and cutting it down so they fit. I'm pretty particular with things when it comes to my truck so I dont want it to look like crap. Any monkey could take a sawzall to it. Anyone made it work and look nice?? I have a white truck and its been super rainy and muddy here in Wisconsin the last week. There is mud flung all the way up my front doors and the back looks clean after putting them on. So I really want to get the matching ones for the front.
Remove the caps, and cut them back the needed length on a band saw, set at a height just above the width of the caps, and set back gauge to desired depth. Once cut, use like 800 grit sandpaper and clean cut edges up nicely. Be sure to use a sheet metal blade on the saw, due to the tooth count being much higher and spaced MUCH closer together, giving a smooth clean cut. Wallah!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I Ave OEM molded mud guards and OEM wheel to wheel steps without any issues. The mud guards sit right against the steps in the front but no issues.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I Ave OEM molded mud guards and OEM wheel to wheel steps without any issues. The mud guards sit right against the steps in the front but no issues.

They wont work on mine. I cant get them bolted on. Basically when I ordered the rears they sent me fronts by accident. So I know the front wont work and I tried returning them but since I had trimmed them to fit they wouldnt take them back. So basically I am stuck with with $55 mud guards that wont fit my truck.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: I just took the steps off (tube only) and pulled the black "Ram" caps off the ends which are secured by two screws. I trimmed just a tad over 1" off the tube/pipe with a large bandsaw we have at my work. Then I carefully deburred them and drilled new holes for the black "Ram" cap and they look good as new and I can fit my mud guards on now with about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap between them and the step ups. Will post pictures later!

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remove the caps, and cut them back the needed length on a band saw, set at a height just above the width of the caps, and set back gauge to desired depth. Once cut, use like 800 grit sandpaper and clean cut edges up nicely. Be sure to use a sheet metal blade on the saw, due to the tooth count being much higher and spaced MUCH closer together, giving a smooth clean cut. Wallah!

I didnt see this until I posted my update hahah. I did it exaclty how you mentioned. Great idea!! Looks way better than the steps pushed up against the mud guards too IMO

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I didnt see this until I posted my update hahah. I did it exaclty how you mentioned. Great idea!! Looks way better than the steps pushed up against the mud guards too IMO
Good news bud!!!