Rear shocks... What's the point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lets assume one doesn't carry a heavy payload, tow, or off road on a regular basis. What is the point of bolting on fancy shmancy shocks i.e. Fox, Icon, King, and the like when there's virtually no weight on the rear end? I'm not bashing anyone who has gone this route, Just looking for experienced input on the subject. I know that a higher quality shock will make for a smoother ride, but is the cost worth upgrading from factory to high end vs. mid level? Lets hear your thoughts.

angryneutron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lets assume one doesn't carry a heavy payload, tow, or off road on a regular basis. What is the point of bolting on fancy shmancy shocks i.e. Fox, Icon, King, and the like when there's virtually no weight on the rear end? I'm not bashing anyone who has gone this route, Just looking for experienced input on the subject. I know that a higher quality shock will make for a smoother ride, but is the cost worth upgrading from factory to high end vs. mid level? Lets hear your thoughts.
Suspension components affect a lot more than payload and off-road capability. The handling, traction, etc are greatly affected and often see improvement with upgraded components.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to something like Bilsteins on a truck that doesn't go off road or need to carry a heavy load will give you better handling. Going to something like Kings, Fox or Icon is overkill in a case like that.

If you're putting a large lift on, even if it's just for looks, then those shocks might be worth it for stability and safety. Even if you're just driving on road.

At least that's my take on it.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my 15 1500 for hauling and towing. I've definitely noticed the softly sprung suspension, but the shocks have always performed well. I have BILS on the front now, and they were noticeable, but not significant. I'll be adding them to the rear one of these days just because I've added stiffer springs. Nice but not at all necessary.

LVnight1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my 15 1500 for hauling and towing. I've definitely noticed the softly sprung suspension, but the shocks have always performed well. I have BILS on the front now, and they were noticeable, but not significant. I'll be adding them to the rear one of these days just because I've added stiffer springs. Nice but not at all necessary.

Did you lift the rear with the stiffer springs? If you did, did you use a taller spring, spacer, or both?

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used variable rate TT 1223v springs which ended up about 1/3 to 1/2 inch shorter than stock, I then added 1" poly spacer. So I'm (slightly) taller than OEM, which is the prime reason I'm probably going with the BIL 5100s in back.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Like everything when it comes to mods, you need to look at what the intended end use of the vehicle will be before throwing anything at it. In the case of shocks, the things you need to look at is how far the suspension needs to travel, how much load it needs to handle, and how often they will be cycling. The first and last items are the most important and the load capacity is less of a concern since the shock isn't actually holding the load weight (unless it's a coil-over assembly), that's the spring's job but you do need to know the weight so you have a shock that's appropriately sized to dampen the forces involved or it just bobs up and down the road after a bump

The higher end shocks typically have either a different compression/rebound valving or more adjustability in either how fast they compress/rebound and how quickly they dampen that travel; some even have multiple stages of adjustability on the compression and rebound strokes so when the shock is compressed at a faster rate it uses one level of dampening and when it reaches a certain point in its stroke it will switch to a different dampening rate.

The next important thing was how often the shock can cycle before it starts to lose its dampening ability, called shock fatigue. Since they have to compress a fluid to dampen the travel they generate heat as that happens, if they are required to compress frequently in a short span of time they can build up enough heat to affect the shock's dampening fluid, whether its oil or gas filled. Gas filled have better damping abilities but they heat soak a lot faster than oil filled. The higher end shocks have larger shock bodies or remote reservoirs for this reason.

If you aren't racing the truck like a pre-runner or planning to regularly carry a heavy load that requires a different damping ability then you are replacing shocks with higher end ones only for a different ride quality, that's when it's up to the individual to determine what's it worth to them. I run a set of adjustable Rancho 9000XLs up front and dual adjustable QA1s out back, they're both higher tier shocks because it's worth it to me with everything else I've done to my truck, most people wouldn't think spending $1500 in shocks is worth it.