Replace one tire on 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a small cut that is a slow leak on my driver rear tire sidewall. Shop said I have to get new tire, my current tires are the factory Wrangler sr-a, and I have 4wd. There's about 9/32nd tread on all my tires right now. If I were to put a new tire, same brand, I should be ok with the 4wd right? I have the 4 lock, neutral and 4 low transfer case. I'm willing to do a few burnouts if needed to wear it down a little to even the tread put ha

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I'd get the new tire, put the drivers front tire on the drivers rear and put the new tire on the drivers front !

You could also do your 5-tire rotation/w spare-

Whatever

:crazy: JIMBO

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe check ebay for a used tire, same model, similar wear. I have done that in the past, worked out great and was a lot cheaper.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AWD or full time 4WD usually have a tolerance in diameter of at least 1/4 inches (about 4/32 tread depth), most say 3%. But, in your case, you are driving in 2WD most of the time. Your new tire will only have an possible impact in 4 lock, and you should be only using that in slippery conditions anyway.

So put the new tire on the front and be happy. You would probably do more damage with burn outs than running them as is.

If you are uncomfortable, many shops used to shave down a new tire for a fee. Dunno if they still do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna try the eBay route first, thanks for the suggestions, if that doesn't work then just buy a new one, still wanna do some burnouts

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I shoved a piece of corn stock through the sidewall last December during deer season and had to do the same thing. It'll never hurt the truck. I put the newer one on the right rear because that's the corner that scrubs off the fastest for me and just rotate the other 3 around periodically :roflsquared:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You likely also have open differentials so that will also help with the differences in size.