Tool Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Some background first. I came from sport utility vehicles for most of my time behind a wheel; '89 Blazer (when I was 16), '09 Equinox, '07 Santa Fe. I recently bought a 2015 1500 QC and am missing the storage space the sport utility provides. I also have three kids all in some form of car seats, and it will be that way for awhile, since they are 8, 5, and 2.5, so its almost impossible to utilize under seat storage.

When I am driving solo storage really isn't an issue I can use the passenger seat/back floorboards. My wife drives a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan so we could always use her vehicle for long trips where we needed room for suitcases/etc. But I would like to use my vehicle more for daily driving since it has less miles, gets slightly better gas mileage, looks cooler, and is more comfortable for me to drive.

So, now I am looking for a tool box to help store some of my stuff, and use it more like a trunk. The problem I see are there are a myriad of options that range in price. I have a potential budget of sub $300.00, and of course want the best quality for the price. So, for those with tool boxes, what do you have? What are your likes/dislikes? estimated price?

What I need to carry daily:
Large backpack (5.11 RUSH 24 if you are familiar with the brand)
Large first aid kit (same size as a smaller backpack)

What I would like to carry:
Jumper cables
tie downs
basic repair tools
space for bags when we go shopping.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I feel your pain with cargo space with kids lol. I have 5 Now all grown :)
I will be no help with the Tool box brand as do not have one yet but will so I will follow this thread,
Do you plan on adding a Tonneau Cover in the future ? If so get a Low Profile box so you can still use it!
For small items the Wheel well tool box's are nice if you end up filling up the tool box :)
Just my 2 cents of info

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just looking at ebay yesterday...I found a couple of aluminum tool boxes that are 49" long, 15" wide and 15" high for under $150 with free shipping. They are short enough to go under my roll up tonneau and still provide adequate storage. They look pretty good and I'll probably grab one today or tomorrow...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've had several boxes over the years and the biggest thing is the quality of that top lid seal. You DO NOT want leaks into the box...it raises hell with the contents.

There are two basic designs, an in-bed and an over the rail style. You'll have to decide what works best for you.

Here is my Husky box from Home Depot.

PICT0018_zpslmarpess.jpg

PICT0020_zpstcmxbcs5.jpg

PICT0017_zpstrofd9li.jpg

Current price is $289 and this one has a good seal. It's a bit lighter gauge aluminum than the ProTech box I had on a previous truck but overall it's a good one. I've never had a leak with this one nor is mounting the box difficult to do. This is the second Ram this box has been on. I originally purchased it for my 2007 MegaCan.

truckbox5.jpg

091814SwiftyRam01_zpsadba733a.jpg

It was on that truck for over 90K miles and has been on the 2014 CC for almost 25K miles. Paint is starting to thin out on the edges but structurally it is in fine shape. The locks and latches work fine as long as a little graphite is squirted into the locks once a year. Again, I have had no leaks whatsoever with this box.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
Z

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is main one I was looking at, it seems to get the best reviews for that price point, glad to see someone else using one without any issues. Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me spend the money.

I've had several boxes over the years and the biggest thing is the quality of that top lid seal. You DO NOT want leaks into the box...it raises hell with the contents.

There are two basic designs, an in-bed and an over the rail style. You'll have to decide what works best for you.

Here is my Husky box from Home Depot.

PICT0018_zpslmarpess.jpg

PICT0020_zpstcmxbcs5.jpg

PICT0017_zpstrofd9li.jpg

Current price is $289 and this one has a good seal. It's a bit lighter gauge aluminum than the ProTech box I had on a previous truck but overall it's a good one. I've never had a leak with this one nor is mounting the box difficult to do. This is the second Ram this box has been on. I originally purchased it for my 2007 MegaCan.

truckbox5.jpg

091814SwiftyRam01_zpsadba733a.jpg

It was on that truck for over 90K miles and has been on the 2014 CC for almost 25K miles. Paint is starting to thin out on the edges but structurally it is in fine shape. The locks and latches work fine as long as a little graphite is squirted into the locks once a year. Again, I have had no leaks whatsoever with this box.

Good luck with your search.