2017 2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
just picked up a 2017 2500 4X4 with the Hemi 6.4 was looking for some performance mods to improve mileage and towing any suggestions would be great

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres not much you can do thats going to make a measureable difference in fuel economy with these trucks. performance wise, the best bang for your buck is to upgrade the gears (considering you have 3.73's).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
AFE should be issuing a cold air intake for the 6.4L trucks.

Programming is expensive for 2015 - 2017 trucks as you need a programmer, a blank PCM and I'd highly suggest a custom tune. You can get that package now from Matt at Moe's Performance, one of our Preferred Vendors here at RamForum. I was very pleased with the results of the programmer and custom tune I got.

The gearset swap isn't a bad idea if you plan on towing a lot, especially if it's a heavy TT or 5'vr.

A freer flowing exhaust will always help. You can go as simply as swapping out the stock muffler for an aftermarket unit, which is what I did with a resonator delete as well, or go full catback single in/dual out muffler with new tailpipes. This will work only if you don't have the rear self leveling air system. If you do have that on your truck, you can't get a pipe over the rear axle on the driver's side as the distribution block, plumbing and such are located there. No room for a pipe.

That should get ya started...

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
get rid of the 4 foot valved factory school bus muffler. from what i have read headers have impressive results on the 6.4s . that will happen when my warranty is over. cheers!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Save your money. You got the best gas engine out the gate for a 3/4 ton truck. Chasing performance and mileage at the same time is like a dog chasing it's tail. You will get neither and the amount of money you blow chasing that dream, will buy a lot of gas.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Save your money. You got the best gas engine out the gate for a 3/4 ton truck. Chasing performance and mileage at the same time is like a dog chasing it's tail. You will get neither and the amount of money you blow chasing that dream, will buy a lot of gas.

He's right. It's one or the other with the 6.4L. I doubt I saw any mileage improvement but will have to wait til they stop pumping winter blend fuels here to really tell.

I do know, however, that the tune really really woke up the HEMI.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears gears gears - especially if u plan to run 35"s and up-

OP
OP
N

NMwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank for all the great feed back have decided to open up the exhaust and intake and see where that leaves me. am really pleased with the power and mileage so far, just think that factory can always be improved upon