65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes sir Syn the filter is furous metal a magnet is a great idea imo and I see no reason why a drop of locktight would hurt as the bolts definitely loosen up after a few heat cycles [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just finished a long text conversation with Steve.

He had good info that the Mopar 5W-40 Oil is repackaged Shell T6 5W-40 & the Mopar ATF+4 is Shell as well: repackaged from Pennzoil platinum ATF +4

I was somewhat shocked it was not Valvoline.

Of course this could all change in a matter of months.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would have guessed them both to be Pennzoil products as they are like teen’s dating “exclusively”.... FCA and Pennzoil...

Same as the other regular mopar motor oils. Re-labeled Pennzoil

I am a believer that the RFE transmission are not quite as touchy with fluid as we all perceive. I mean, redline C+ATF says it has a whopping 30% higher viscosity than OEM...! Thats huge. Yet my tranny shifts better on it, i got a gas milage increase (did not see that comming) yet running temps are IDENTICAL to when i had Mopar atf+4 in it..... but.... when under load (towing) the redline C+ATF has VERY LITTLE increase in trans temps over driving unloaded.

Just my experience

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have guessed them both to be Pennzoil products as they are like teen’s dating “exclusively”.... FCA and Pennzoil...

Same as the other regular mopar motor oils. Re-labeled Pennzoil

I am a believer that the RFE transmission are not quite as touchy with fluid as we all perceive. I mean, redline C+ATF says it has a whopping 30% higher viscosity than OEM...! Thats huge. Yet my tranny shifts better on it, i got a gas milage increase (did not see that comming) yet running temps are IDENTICAL to when i had Mopar atf+4 in it..... but.... when under load (towing) the redline C+ATF has VERY LITTLE increase in trans temps over driving unloaded.

Just my experience
Funny you say that Sir , as I have noticed a slight mpg increase on REDLINE C+ ATF in my 65RFE Xsmn in my 14 Ram QC 4x4[emoji106]
In addition to an increase in mpg , I've also noticed much smoother shifting once the xsmn fluid is properly serviced !

Next month I'll be drain my ATF For the 3rd and final time in an attempt to get all the factory fill out and REDLINE C+ATF in ...

This is a simple task now , as I have the Mag-Hyteck xsmn pan with a drain plug [emoji106][emoji106]

My plan is , once this pan drain and fill event is complete , I'll be performing a drain and refill of my xsmn fluid ( via my Mag-Hyteck pan drain plug ) at every third engine oil change ....which for me would be at approximately every 18 -22 thousand mile intervals ....

Last edited:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Funny you say that Sir , as I have noticed a slight mpg increase on REDLINE C+ ATF in my 65RFE Xsmn in my 14 Ram QC 4x4[emoji106]
In addition to an increase in mpg , I've also noticed much smoother shifting once the xsmn fluid is properly serviced !

Next month I'll be drain my ATF For the 3rd and final time in an attempt to get all the factory fill out and REDLINE C+ATF in ...

This is a simple task now , as I have the Mag-Hyteck xsmn pan with a drain plug [emoji106][emoji106]

My plan is , once this pan drain and fill event is compleat , I'll be performing a drain and refill of my xsmn fluid ( via my Mag-Hyteck pan drain plug ) at every third engine oil change ....which for me would be at approximately every 18 -22 thousand mile intervals ....

These Mags make it easier for sure!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup C+ makes a world of difference in the way these RFE trans shift compared to the factory fill, especially when it's cold. Shifting is smooth and quick. Can't believe it's not "approved" by FCA...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Checked the torque on my MH pan today. All bolts we're still at the proper torque. I'll check them again in a month or so.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I had to do it like 5 times and now they are good. I can imaging when the RTV ages a bit it shrinks.

mwright19832

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just nuked my 65rfe last week. Have bbk headers, k&n Cai, edge tune, pedal commander and 34's. Never haul but always hauling ****. Have lsd, and 3.55 gears.

Torque converter, clutch packs, toast. Had new TC transgo shift kit, clutch packs and line booster installed. Night and day, runs great. Shifts faster and firmer.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What were your Fluid chang intervals from day one with your aggressive driving? Did you buy the truck new or used? What fluid did you use? How many miles were on it when you “toasted” it?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What were your Fluid chang intervals from day one with your aggressive driving? Did you buy the truck new or used? What fluid did you use? How many miles were on it when you “toasted” it?
Consuming minds DO WANT to know ...as do I ! !!

I'm prety much grandpawing my 6.speed xsmn ... With .355 gears .....I'm wanting to know how yours are doing !???? As You DRIVE aggressively compared to me ..

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well sir, can you enlighten us on the questions i posted about your trans failure?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just nuked my 65rfe last week. Have bbk headers, k&n Cai, edge tune, pedal commander and 34's. Never haul but always hauling ****. Have lsd, and 3.55 gears.

Torque converter, clutch packs, toast. Had new TC transgo shift kit, clutch packs and line booster installed. Night and day, runs great. Shifts faster and firmer.

Sir,

Are you able to enlighten us. We are just trying to learn from your experience

bigdodge

Reaction score
Well I finally dropped my trans pan and changed filters. I have a 15 PW with 45k miles and the typical clunky shifting, especially when down. I have always been a fan of redline but could not really justify the cost in engine oil. For the trans though I figured the change interval is long enough to justify the cost. I'm really glad I did it. It really has made a big difference in shifting. Very smooth and quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I finally dropped my trans pan and changed filters. I have a 15 PW with 45k miles and the typical clunky shifting, especially when down. I have always been a fan of redline but could not really justify the cost in engine oil. For the trans though I figured the change interval is long enough to justify the cost. I'm really glad I did it. It really has made a big difference in shifting. Very smooth and quiet.

Yeah Redline C+ is really good fluid. Keeps the temps down and make shifting quick and smooth.

Just imagine what Redline motor oil would do for your motor...

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's a good normal operating temperate range for the RFE? I just installed a 3000 stall and 4.10s a couple days ago, had them change the filters and fluid while they were doing the converter. I never paid much attention to the temp before but it was around 150* today. With 80K I need to monitor things a little more closely given the OD clutch issues. I already know to shift out of OD whenever gunning.

Second question, 2nd prime, good to shift through when doing a run? Good to shift into from a downshift? Avoid at all costs?

I think I've read way too many 65RFE failure threads the last week lol.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's a good normal operating temperate range for the RFE? I just installed a 3000 stall and 4.10s a couple days ago, had them change the filters and fluid while they were doing the converter. I never paid much attention to the temp before but it was around 150* today. With 80K I need to monitor things a little more closely given the OD clutch issues. I already know to shift out of OD whenever gunning.

Second question, 2nd prime, good to shift through when doing a run? Good to shift into from a downshift? Avoid at all costs?

I think I've read way too many 65RFE failure threads the last week lol.

I would say keep the RFE trans below 180* except for short times when worked. Mine rarely goes above 140* in the summer and 110* in the winter but I do have a MagHytec trans pan. I've seen it as high as 160* but that was while towing my TT through the NH mountains.

Not sure about 2nd prime in the 545RFE/3rd in the 65RFE. For downshifts, I usually do it manually no matter what gear I'm downshifting to just to be safe.

Yeah there's a lot of RFE trans failures out there, but most are due to the OD clutch burning up from full throttled downshifts. Another somewhat common problem is solenoid pack failure which is fairly easy to fix. Don't forget there's a lot of RFE trans out there that have well over 200k.