87 mm Ported Throttle Body question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A newbie question.
For those of you switching to a 87mm Ported Throttle Body, are you also using a throttle body spacer?
My other question is, will the Ported Throttle Body void my warranty?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TB spacer do absolutely jack crap on our trucks. And the ported TB is made from an OEM unit. And to tell its not stock will take the effort to remove it and hold it side by side to a stock one to tell the difference. So the dealer would have to prove that the throttle body caused some problem to void your warranty.
Short story, no.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A newbie question.
For those of you switching to a 87mm Ported Throttle Body, are you also using a throttle body spacer?
My other question is, will the Ported Throttle Body void my warranty?

The TB spacer is not needed for this mod and would not benefit from it so you are best off just purchasing the 87mm TB. Moes Performance has some of the best TB's and from what I understand will not void your warranty.

Also depending on how far you go with your truck you might want to look into the 85mm TB, Get in touch with Matt from Moes and he can set you straight :happy107:

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
If you are that worried about it put the old one on efore you go in to the dealer..

Its a worth while mod though...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like said above, I wouldnt waste any money on the TB spacer. I have yet to see a hemi motor gain anything from them aside from noise.

And on our throttle bodies, we do use brand new OEM cores. Installed on the truck, it looks 100% identical to what you have now. The port work is on the inside, so the dealerships would have to measure your ported TB against a stock one to notice that it was ported, and I highly doubt any dealership would go through the trouble for such a simple upgrade. If you are concerned, it only takes 10-15 minutes to install these, so it is very easy to go back to stock before taking it in.

OP
OP
Numnutz

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The TB spacer is not needed for this mod and would not benefit from it so you are best off just purchasing the 87mm TB. Moes Performance has some of the best TB's and from what I understand will not void your warranty.

Also depending on how far you go with your truck you might want to look into the 85mm TB, Get in touch with Matt from Moes and he can set you straight :happy107:

Like said above, I wouldnt waste any money on the TB spacer. I have yet to see a hemi motor gain anything from them aside from noise.

And on our throttle bodies, we do use brand new OEM cores. Installed on the truck, it looks 100% identical to what you have now. The port work is on the inside, so the dealerships would have to measure your ported TB against a stock one to notice that it was ported, and I highly doubt any dealership would go through the trouble for such a simple upgrade. If you are concerned, it only takes 10-15 minutes to install these, so it is very easy to go back to stock before taking it in.

Reason I ask is because I worked in a 7 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty into the deal when I bought the truck. I don't want to blow that.

Could you tell me why Gunz86 mentioned the 85 mm over the 87 mm according to my driving habits?
This seems like the most bang for the buck. Figured I'd do the VR Air Grabber and the ported throttle body.
I'm also open for suggestions short of a tuner, I know that will void my warranty.

I also notice that the BBK TB is machined to 85 mm all the way to the throttle plate and the Moe's TB isn't?.
It seems to be choked back down to 80mm at that point?

Last edited:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When you say throttle plate, are you referring to the butterfly valve in the middle of the TB?

From a fluid flow perspective there are advantages to going with a tapered design like Moe uses in the TBs. Sure a straight bore has a larger cross sectional area, but it does not work to promote laminar fluid flow. The tapered bore that Moe uses acts as a nozzle increasing fluid velocity, and decreasing pressure while focusing the higher flow to fit through a smaller space. In the end, the air flow is more "organized" which is why it will result in a hp gain just as a larger straight bore would.

I bought an 85 since I have been told there are no major gains from 85 to 87 unless you are planning on doing headers as at that point the stock manifolds become a point of restriction. If you plan to do internals modifications, and headers, then get the 87. Otherwise the 85 should be more than adequate.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Reason I ask is because I worked in a 7 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty into the deal when I bought the truck. I don't want to blow that.

Could you tell me why Gunz86 mentioned the 85 mm over the 87 mm according to my driving habits?
This seems like the most bang for the buck. Figured I'd do the VR Air Grabber and the ported throttle body.
I'm also open for suggestions short of a tuner, I know that will void my warranty.

I also notice that the BBK TB is machined to 85 mm all the way to the throttle plate and the Moe's TB isn't?.
It seems to be choked back down to 80mm at that point?

If your looking to stick with simple mods such as CAI, muffler swap and simple bolt on applications which will not void your warranty then the 85mm will give you what you want and keep the price down. I am in the same boat as you with the warranty and will stick with all 3 mods for a while, my 85mm TB should be here this Thursday.

If you plan on going all out with headers, tuner and other heavier mods than you can reach the full potential of the 87mm ported TB. Like mentioned above there are pros and cons both sides, not sure if this was bbk tb's but I thought I read somewhere that you may have more engine fault codes pop up with an open bore design like that.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just added my 85MM to the 2500 which is 4 months old, what I noticed from the original is the ink marks that align the bolts to the throttle body. Other that a difference in serial numbers it looks good, According to Matt-Moe's and others there not a big threat of warrenty issues. Am pleased with the look and hoe easy it went in.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The last 2 posts just about summed it up. We use a tapered port design for a reason because it increases airspeed and will not trigger any check engine lights. The BBK 85mm is a straight bore TB, but it will slow down the airspeed coming into the intake manifold, and the computer will throw a high idle code as well unless you have custom tuning to account for the extra airflow at idle.

Goatman91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are the pros and cons to adding a ported TB. Is it actally worth my money? I'm just asking because I've been doing a lot of research and no one can agree if it really increases power or if it increased or decreases efficiency. Any Dyno sheets put there?