Engine malfunction warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gobbledott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Hi, driving a 2009 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins. Yesterday the engine malfunction light came on. According to my info, it should go off, or needs to be serviced. Anyone with some input as to what this really means????? Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The check engine light illuminates when a malfunction has been detected. The light will not go off if there is a problem unless it is corrected. The first thing you need to do is have the code read. Many auto parts stores will read the code for you or you can take it to the shop and have it done. You can also buy a reader and do.it yourself. In many cases it's nothing serious but sometimes it is. In any case you should get the code read as soon as possible and address the issue.

EvanYJ350

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 CC Air Susp
Engine
6.4L 392 c.i.
According to my dealer, and my experience, the CEL is a three event system. If there is a malfunction detected, it won't trigger the light unless it happens three times, or is a constant issue that stays with you thru three startups. Conversely, CEL won't go off unless issue goes away consistently for three startups. My CEL went off for a day or two recently, but has been a constant issue before that....