exhaust ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbr577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 HD 6.4
I heard that people were losing low end with a full 3" cat back,is that on the trucks with dual exhaust only?,not the single

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to rf.

i guess if you go from a 2.5 to a 3" on the outlet of the muffler you could lose some back pressure. Not sure how it would effect the dual system since that is a 3" in dual 2.5" out

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I opened up both sides of the engine by removing the nasty Y-pipe and running dedicated pipe from each side to a dual IN/OUT Borla muffler. However, I stuck with 2.5" pipe as I felt two seperate pipes at 3" might take away from the low end and seeing as how they ran it down to one 3" pipe originally, 2 pipes at 2.5" should be more than enough of an improvement.

390hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory duals and I went to a muffler shop today to install a 14"magnaflow muffler and magnaflow ypipe
and the guy suggested somethin else. He said changing out the muffler is fine but not to waste my time with the new y pipe, he said if I wanted to do that might as well cut the pipe and make true duals, I would think I would lose backpressure and low end power which I dont want. He was all about a free flowing exhaust he wants to remove my resonators also, which Im not going to do, I want to keep incab drone to a minimum. I would say 100% free flowing exhaust for the track or drag racing is fine but everyday normal driving I would want some backpressure and not lose power, or some cutouts so u can u can have best of both worlds.

CrazyBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say go with a y-pipe or an X-pipe. Do not go "true duals". You need that cross flow from the x/y-pipe to help draw the air out of the cylinders. It sounds to me like your exhaust guy just wants to sell you stuff. If you bought a good mandrel bent 2.5" y-pipe and magnaflow muffler tell him that's what you want put on your truck.

Can you post pictures of what you are wanting him to install?

Ben

CrazyBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of course depending on how crazy you plan to go with the truck I would also suggest just doing the muffler now. Then getting the ARH Longtubes with the appropriate y-pipe.

390hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say go with a y-pipe or an X-pipe. Do not go "true duals". You need that cross flow from the x/y-pipe to help draw the air out of the cylinders. It sounds to me like your exhaust guy just wants to sell you stuff. If you bought a good mandrel bent 2.5" y-pipe and magnaflow muffler tell him that's what you want put on your truck.

Can you post pictures of what you are wanting him to install?

Ben

Thanks for the tips what I want him to install is magnaflow part numbers 13278 for the muffler and part number 10778 for the y pipe

390hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course depending on how crazy you plan to go with the truck I would also suggest just doing the muffler now. Then getting the ARH Longtubes with the appropriate y-pipe.

Headers would be down the road sometime, the old lady would kill me if I add more to my mod list lol

CrazyBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would just do the muffler now and get a y-pipe with the headers.

Anything else I think you're wasting money.

OP
OP
kbr577

kbr577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 HD 6.4
I put a dynomax system on it,sounds and looks great.It's 3" in,3" out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45