Loud clicks on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice a loud continuous click on start up when I remote start my truck sometimes. Their's a possibility that it happens when I use the key to start it I just can't hear it when I'm in the cab. When I hear the clicks the engine turns over just fine but you'll hear the clicks in the background and it last about 5 secs. It almost sounds like a belt fan hitting something. Looked under the hood didn't notice anything. Has anyone heard this noise before or maybe have a solution?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
There are several loud electric relay-type clicks when you remote start (before the engine turns over) if that's what you are referring to. Perfectly normal, no worries. :)

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Get over to the synthetic oil thread and start reading. Also, these trucks are known for broken manifold bolts which cause a tick (exhaust leak) at start up. Check yours. If they're good, it's probably lifter bleed down. Common on these engines.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get over to the synthetic oil thread and start reading. Also, these trucks are known for broken manifold bolts which cause a tick (exhaust leak) at start up. Check yours. If they're good, it's probably lifter bleed down. Common on these engines.

If it only lasts for 5 seconds after start up would probably not be manifold bolt or type of oil used.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on the temperature it could be a little piston slap. On engines with forged or hypereutectic pistons this is common. Hard to tell without hearing it. Hemi's are also known for just a little exhaust leakage at the manifolds right at start up that lasts about 30 seconds until the ending gets them hot enough to expand.