Passenger side engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to forum just looking for advice. I just bought used 2012 ram 1500 5.7, it has 76,000 miles on it. When I start it I hear a tick coming from passenger side of engine. The tick seems to hold a constant rhythm. I have read about manifold bolts breaking causing a tick, but most people say the tick goes away after engine warms up. My tick seems to stay pretty constant even when driving. I did notice when I start the truck if I put it in neutral the tick seems to quite or stop then if I put it in drive it starts again. Could this be a broken manifold bolt?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you cannot find any external issues, try the syn oil forum here. Lots of information on synthetic oil and oil additive and oil filters to help eliminate the hemi tick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah sounds like the notorious hemi tick. Red line or royal purple will quite it if that's the case. As long as it stays consistent (not getting louder over time) then it's almost garaunteed the tick and nothing to worry about really

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Search the forum titles only "hemi tick", this issue comes up weekly and there is more info out there then replies you will get. If it is lifter tick, I would try and fix it with lubrication. There are also a lot of cam fails on the board that started out as ticks.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am dropping my 2014 ram with 53k miles off tomorrow to have my tick fixed. It is a manifold bolt (or multiple) in my case.
I crawled under the truck before starting it one day and instantly found a broken bolt on the shield and could move the shield around.
At least in my case this will be warranty work.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
A 2014 already with broken manifold bolts.
This is very promising!

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its the bolts . Probably have multiple broke thats why it does not go away when warm. Mine only hade one broke and went away when warm.
Depends how bad the leak is

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are broken manifold bolts covered on the standard 60k powertrain warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not the manifold bolts , then try a quality 30wt oil , preferably Redline 5W-30 ...

To my knowledge Royal Purple oil is junk anymore as they have changed their formula drastically over the years , however their RP 10-48 filter is one of the best filters money can buy .

What type oil & weight are you using now ?

Good luck Sir !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Badger88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the warranty follow the truck or is it just original owner? I bought my truck used, has 76,000 miles? Just wondering if I could get mine looked at under warranty or if it will be out of pocket.

OP
OP
B

Badger88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's not the manifold bolts , then try a quality 30wt oil , preferably Redline 5W-30 ...

To my knowledge Royal Purple oil is junk anymore as they have changed their formula drastically over the years , however their RP 10-48 filter is one of the best filters money can buy .

What type oil & weight are you using now ?

Good luck Sir !

Just changed my oil yesterday, put in valvoline full synthetic 5w20 with a Mobil1 filter. Was hoping that would help out but no difference. I bought a stethoscope to see if I could pin point where the sound was coming from. When I put the rod on the manifold heat shield I can hear the rhythmic tick. I am guessing that is a normal sound to hear as I heard the same sound on the driver side when I listened with the stethoscope. I am not much of a mechanic I can change my oil and brake pads but that's about as far as my mechanic skills go.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the warranty follow the truck or is it just original owner? I bought my truck used, has 76,000 miles? Just wondering if I could get mine looked at under warranty or if it will be out of pocket.
If it's not the manifold bolts , most stealer ships will tell you that it's normal ....it IS NOT normal .

I believe manifold bolts are covered for 100k .

If you can take a soundbite video post it up here on the link below and express your concerns.
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=27664

Hope this helps !

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine

It f'in better follow the truck for what they charge for a new one.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Surely I am not the first 2014.
Actually you are at about the point my 2012 warped a manifold along with broken bolts.

This is a drive train warranty repair. Mine is 5yrs/100K but I seem to recall RAM got cheap at one point and shortened the warranty for some years--No?

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually you are at about the point my 2012 warped a manifold along with broken bolts.

This is a drive train warranty repair. Mine is 5yrs/100K but I seem to recall RAM got cheap at one point and shortened the warranty for some years--No?

Yeah, it was bee the 5yr/100k for me as well. I'm well aware this is probably just the first time it will be in there for these bolts. Only the passenger side let go, so we'll see how long before the driver side snaps. Once i get close to the end of the warranty, i'll probably convert to headers (most likely shorties).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just changed my oil yesterday, put in valvoline full synthetic 5w20 with a Mobil1 filter.

Valvoline is a zero moly oil, here, scroll down to item Molybdenum (Mo), ppm. Read moly basics.

Using a non-moly oil when you have tick isn't a good choice. Of the last 6 cam fails 2 of them have been on Valvoline, and 2 were on another zero moly oil royal purple, and one on high mileage gastrol another zero moly oil. Do a little research, if you want to run a non moly oil after that, your choice. GL either way

If you heard zero difference in the noise after an oil change, I would look harder at the mani bolts.

OP
OP
B

Badger88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Valvoline is a zero moly oil, here, scroll down to item Molybdenum (Mo), ppm. Read moly basics.

Using a non-moly oil when you have tick isn't a good choice. Of the last 6 cam fails 2 of them have been on Valvoline, and 2 were on another zero moly oil royal purple, and one on high mileage gastrol another zero moly oil. Do a little research, if you want to run a non moly oil after that, your choice. GL either way

If you heard zero difference in the noise after an oil change, I would look harder at the mani bolts.
I will look at some other oil options, I am sure it is a manifold bolt problem. Called the service department today to check on factory warranty. Turns out it expired in April. Will probably call the local shop and make an appointment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990