Procharger Blower Causing Belt Slippage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I spent some time at my speed shop Saturday and we were Dynoing the truck to see how much power we picked up with the headers and were surprised to see a significant drop in power, like around 70HP or so. Oddly, the manifold pressure, which was being monitored during dynoing, was unusually erratic and actually started to decrease at higher RPMs, so we suspect that there is some belt slippage happening on the blower pulley as we actually had this same issue after the initial install of the Procharger system, however the belt seems to be about as tight as it can be at this point.

The guy at my shop who did the system install is going to contact Procharger this week to see what they suggest, but has anyone else had belt traction issues with adding a centrifugal blower to the serpentine system like this? Do the belts just stretch and need replaced frequently or something perhaps? Or do you think something else may be causing the pressure/HP drop?

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been a pretty common problem in the Jeep world. I believe Demon Performance has come up with solutions. I'd contact them and see what Skip recommends.

Good luck!

wink

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been a pretty common problem in the Jeep world. I believe Demon Performance has come up with solutions. I'd contact them and see what Skip recommends.

Good luck!

wink

Ah ok, any idea what they are doing to resolve it? I can't find their website...

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting, I don't have a Facebook account to see that page, but that sounds like it would be cheaper solution than switching to a higher amount of ribs pulleys and belt. I'll try to look into this.

Thanks

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like it is called carbinite coating HHP does it too apparently...

https://www.highhorseperformance.com/Procharger_AntiSlip_6_Rib_Pulley_Carbonite_Coating_p/pcccp.htm

Wonder why it is so darn expensive though?

That's it!

I forgot Josh has them too, and HHP is top notch. My engine, and most other components for my Jeep came from HHP. You could try the pulley and see if that solves it. If not, either HHP or Demon should be able to help. Here's the number for Demon, 888-312-3666.

wink

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I can tell you right now that the coating on the pulleys doesn't help. I tried the carbinite coating, soda blasted pulleys, and a new procharger tensioner. The problem is the procharger tensioner is not strong enough to keep it all tight under serious load with just the 6 rib belt. I had put together a package to properly keep tension on the system before I decided to axe that idea and went to the cog drive. I had planned to install an idler in the top bolt hole of the blower/bracket, swapping the upper bracket idler pulley to a ribbed one and running the belt on the other side, replacing the procharger pulley with a fixed idler, and running the GT500 tensioner which needs the Demon adapter plate.

The first thing I'd do is install the ATI O/D pulley if yo don't already have that and keep the same belt length, that puts the tensioner almost at the start of its travel instead of near the end where mine always sat after the belts broke in and stretched to their running length.

If you decide to try the pulleys, make sure you state you need the offset pulley for the Ram or you'll get the car pulley which does not work. Attached is a truck vs car pulley pic.

Attachments

• IMG_02571_zps5be7febe.jpg
    IMG_02571_zps5be7febe.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can tell you right now that the coating on the pulleys doesn't help. I tried the carbinite coating, soda blasted pulleys, and a new procharger tensioner. The problem is the procharger tensioner is not strong enough to keep it all tight under serious load with just the 6 rib belt. I had put together a package to properly keep tension on the system before I decided to axe that idea and went to the cog drive. I had planned to install an idler in the top bolt hole of the blower/bracket, swapping the upper bracket idler pulley to a ribbed one and running the belt on the other side, replacing the procharger pulley with a fixed idler, and running the GT500 tensioner which needs the Demon adapter plate.

The first thing I'd do is install the ATI O/D pulley if yo don't already have that and keep the same belt length, that puts the tensioner almost at the start of its travel instead of near the end where mine always sat after the belts broke in and stretched to their running length.

If you decide to try the pulleys, make sure you state you need the offset pulley for the Ram or you'll get the car pulley which does not work. Attached is a truck vs car pulley pic.

Good info, I had a feeling you would know a lot about this :)

I'll look into that pulley first to increase the tension, that alone would probably help a lot for my PSI level, which is probably a lot lower than your custom higher PSI setup.

Can you tell me a bit more on the cog setup? If I went that route, I assume all pulleys would have to replaced or not? If so, does someone make a full cog kit for these trucks/engine?

Also, do you have a link to the ATI O/D pulley you mentioned?

Thanks!

Last edited:

RAMbqqst

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM 1500 ST
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too have been having nothing but problems of various kinds with belts, belt alignment, stretch and slippage. One thing I did see on youtube from Cleetus' ProCharged Ram is that ATI sent them a modified harmonic balancer which allowed the P/C to run independently of the main accessory serpentine. Not only was it a standalone, it was also wider by some degree than the stock 6 rib setup. The only difference was that he has a little newer truck, and was running the P1 instead of the D1. I feel the extra width and standalone setup would be enough to keep my lowly 7psi truck from having such agrravating issues with the belt. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Good info, I had a feeling you would know a lot about this :)

I'll look into that pulley first to increase the tension, that alone would probably help a lot for my PSI level, which is probably a lot lower than your custom higher PSI setup.

Can you tell me a bit more on the cog setup? If I went that route, I assume all pulleys would have to replaced or not? If so, does someone make a full cog kit for these trucks/engine?

Also, do you have a link to the ATI O/D pulley you mentioned?

Thanks!

The ATI Pulley and you need part# 918453. It's a 6% OD pulley so it'll increase your boost a bit too, assuming no belt slippage.

There's one supplier for the cog drive kits for the trucks, his name is Kurtis from Calgary and I hear he's a real **** to work with some days. A full cog drive system will run you about $1800usd for the bracket, spacers, and hardware; $750usd for the sprag and tensioner pulleys; and then it's about $225-240usd depending on what size crank pulley you go for. I can get belts locally for about $100usd from a local power transmission and bearing supplier. You'd require an ATI pulley to mount it all on. The kit is totally independent of your factory serpentine belt system so you run the factory tensioner and accessories.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Damn, this stuff is much more pricey than I expected, even just that dampener is $400. So, with my boost level which is just around 7-8 PSI, do you think just the overdrive dampener alone would eliminate the slippage entirely? or should I also have the carbinite coating done to the blower pulley too if it helps?

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What, you thought going fast would be cheap? lol. The stage 2 kit wasn't available when I started planning all my stuff which kinda makes me mad but I have a very unique build now. Is it wrong that I looked at the cost of the ATI Pulley and was like: that's cheap.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What, you thought going fast would be cheap? lol. The stage 2 kit wasn't available when I started planning all my stuff which kinda makes me mad but I have a very unique build now. Is it wrong that I looked at the cost of the ATI Pulley and was like: that's cheap.

Lol, very true it is comparably cheap, especially to the cog system you got :)

So back to that last question I asked...

Do you think just the overdrive dampener alone would eliminate the slippage entirely for my 7-8PSI level or should I also have the blower pulley coated too?

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So back to that last question I asked...

Do you think just the overdrive dampener alone would eliminate the slippage entirely for my 7-8PSI level?

I can't give you a a promise, it should help if not eliminate it but there's never a guarantee it'll cure the problem since there's just so much drag on the system when driving all the accessories.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, maybe I'll get the overdrive dampener and the coating done as well for a little extra grip and see what that does for the situation.

Thanks a bunch!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The ATI Pulley and you need part# 918453. It's a 6% OD pulley so it'll increase your boost a bit too, assuming no belt slippage.

There's one supplier for the cog drive kits for the trucks, his name is Kurtis from Calgary and I hear he's a real **** to work with some days. A full cog drive system will run you about $1800usd for the bracket, spacers, and hardware; $750usd for the sprag and tensioner pulleys; and then it's about $225-240usd depending on what size crank pulley you go for. I can get belts locally for about $100usd from a local power transmission and bearing supplier. You'd require an ATI pulley to mount it all on. The kit is totally independent of your factory serpentine belt system so you run the factory tensioner and accessories.

I personally know that Kurtis guy,i'd have to agree with you,:roflsquared:
Just kidding Kurtis,lol.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's disappointing 8 psi is too much for the 6 rib. Guess I got spoiled by the Vortech jackshaft setup. Ran 13-16 psi for 7 years with nary a problem with the serp belt. However I did go with better tensioners. First the Dayco, then the Thump. Wasn't until I got greedy and went for 20 psi that the serps starting shredding instantly. 17-18 was only good for a few passes. Still believe I could've resolved it with an additional idler, but the new build was imminent, so didn't make sense to try. However I will say other than mechanical advantage, I didn't care much for that setup.

wink