Re-gearing, rear lockers and such

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiotCTRL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey all,

Just got a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 in an effort to get out and do some overlanding. The dealership had already put 35" M/Ts and a 6" fabtec lift (they just forgot to put that in the ad, OR to charge me for it... lol).

I'm thinking that when these tires eventually kick the bucket, I may re-gear, move up to 37's, and look into air lockers.

I'm pretty new to all of this, so I was wondering:

As far as the gearing and the lockers go, any advice? What're out there for Rams that you all would suggest? Do's, don'ts, brands, etc is all much appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Chris

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No gears or lockers unless you retrofit pre '12 axles and still nothing available up front. Also, if you're gonna overland you may want to verify what tcase you have. If you have the BW 44-44 (if you have "auto" to select for 4wd, you have the BW 44-44) you need to do some reading on that thing.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey all,

Just got a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 in an effort to get out and do some overlanding. The dealership had already put 35" M/Ts and a 6" fabtec lift (they just forgot to put that in the ad, OR to charge me for it... lol).

I'm thinking that when these tires eventually kick the bucket, I may re-gear, move up to 37's, and look into air lockers.

I'm pretty new to all of this, so I was wondering:

As far as the gearing and the lockers go, any advice? What're out there for Rams that you all would suggest? Do's, don'ts, brands, etc is all much appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Chris

Well it really sucks to say, but i searched for quite some time trying to find an air locker or any type of locker for 3rd and 4th gen rams. There is maybe one air locker for any half ton 1500 ram. I say maybe because their site has conflicting information. It is list under the 2010 ram but also says for an 8.25 axle which the ram doesn't have, we have a 9.25 rear. I would contact them. I didnt bother, it is 1 grand. There is not other lockers for half ton rams. I ended up going with an aggressive yukon duragrip

Now you're probably wondering why i gave you info on a 2010 locker. To swap gears in the front diff you need to swap in an older differential and gears into that. See my thread http://www.ramforum.com/f44/3_55_-_4_56_gear_change_progress-79820/
As for the rear, there are 4.10 and 4.56 gears for the newer diff now. Yukon makes some and moes performance has some custom drilled motive gears that will work. But if you want the arb locker(if it fits) you will need to use some older gears and you will need to buy another axle shaft as the new ZF axles or offset where as the older 9.25 was center

No gears or lockers unless you retrofit pre '12 axles and still nothing available up front. Also, if you're gonna overland you may want to verify what tcase you have. If you have the BW 44-44 (if you have "auto" to select for 4wd, you have the BW 44-44) you need to do some reading on that thing.

Bw 44-45 for the auto 4wd. OP if you have that...its not the best offroad

OP
OP
RiotCTRL

RiotCTRL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

So, this pic isn't my truck, but it's the exact selector panel I have, if that answers your question.

ram1500_22.jpg

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bw 44-45 for the auto 4wd. OP if you have that...its not the best offroad

BW 44-45 is the part time case, the 44-44 is the "Torque on demand" with the auto feature.

BTY, did you have to use the spacer (the metal spacer that would be above the stock coil) that came with your lift on top of the Kings or are yours custom length to accommodate the lift?

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BW 44-45 is the part time case, the 44-44 is the "Torque on demand" with the auto feature.

BTY, did you have to use the spacer (the metal spacer that would be above the stock coil) that came with your lift on top of the Kings or are yours custom length to accommodate the lift?
Lol we both messed up. But no I didn't have to use the spacer mine are custom length

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk