Rear Differential Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdowhan55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I was out getting an oil change today. My truck is a 2014 5.7 Sport. I have 28, 300 kilometres on it. The dealership told me that during inspection that I should do my rear differential fluid as it is getting dark. They even made a point to bring some out on a piece of paper after I refused. I still refused. Why the hell would I be changing the fluid on a 2014 with 28,300kms? They then asked how much towing I have done because that could be the reason. I told them there hasn't even been a minute of towing on that truck. I haven't even put the hitch on. They said well if you are saying no this time, they highly recommend it done by 32,000 kms. Is this normal? I feel like this is just a cash grab. I will say that when they showed me, the oil was pretty dark. But I have never changed it this early. My last vehicle (a rwd 6 speed) was changed at 85,000kms the first time...

Let me know if this is something I should take seriously and get done..

DTECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at your manual....it will state the interval. ..but with most rams its every 15k miles in this case your due...

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look at your manual....it will state the interval. ..but with most rams its every 15k miles in this case your due...

What vehicle is this? I have yet to see a vehicle that recommends the axle fluid be changed before 100k since everyone has switched to synthetic oil. I would check it yourself to be sure it was the fluid out of your axle they showed you. If it is that black change it yourself, it isn't remotely hard to do.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have read many times in other publications ->{Not in the owners manual}.

That with a Anti-Slip aka Limited Slip-->Rear Diff with clutch packs---->It is {Wise} or {Recommended} to drain the factory gear oil some where between 10K-15K miles.

They say it is somewhat like a new engine--->Break in wear metals will over a short time put alot of wear on those clutches and cause slippage so the diff will not work very effectively.

I myself have plans on adding a PML diff cover at the 10K mile mark. This cover has a fill plug and a drain plug so gear oil changes will be fast and easy... After the first drain I will drain and fill every 50K miles... With Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140.

My Limited Slip on my 01 7.3L PSD went south around the 50K miles mark-->I feel due to the fact the 1st owner neglected all the fluids especially the Gear Oils-->Just My Opinion!

Note-->I'm Not Telling Anyone Else TO Do This! This is just what I believe in and I am sticking to my beliefs.

DTECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What vehicle is this? I have yet to see a vehicle that recommends the axle fluid be changed before 100k since everyone has switched to synthetic oil. I would check it yourself to be sure it was the fluid out of your axle they showed you. If it is that black change it yourself, it isn't remotely

I think you might have been mistaken by transmission service on some vehicles for 100k...the fluid in the diff is synthetic the only problem is theres no filter to clean the oil and remove any clutch or wear metal so your fluid turns into liquid sandpaper and trust me the magnet they put in there was a small cheap flexible refrigerator magnet...
you can find diff covers with drain plugs so it makes it a drive way 15 min job. But its good to remove the cover to inspect the gears and clutch packs periodically and clean the better magnet from homedepot you put in there....

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What vehicle is this? I have yet to see a vehicle that recommends the axle fluid be changed before 100k since everyone has switched to synthetic oil. I would check it yourself to be sure it was the fluid out of your axle they showed you. If it is that black change it yourself, it isn't remotely

I think you might have been mistaken by transmission service on some vehicles for 100k...the fluid in the diff is synthetic the only problem is theres no filter to clean the oil and remove any clutch or wear metal so your fluid turns into liquid sandpaper and trust me the magnet they put in there was a small cheap flexible refrigerator magnet...
you can find diff covers with drain plugs so it makes it a drive way 15 min job. But its good to remove the cover to inspect the gears and clutch packs periodically and clean the better magnet from homedepot you put in there....

No, I'm not mistaken. There is not near enough wear in a differential to justify changing the oil every 15k. I changed the oil in my dad's f250 at 120k, the oil still looked brand new and his limited slip works just as good as the day it was new. If your paranoid change it at 15k and then your good until 100k.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Q: would it really change the intervals of the fluid change depending on the dif? I'm hovering at around 10000 miles right now and am antsy to change the dif fluid anyway (just to see how it works, clean it up, and paint the rear dif cover red).

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My owner's manual says if I use the truck for frequent towing or off roading I should change the front and rear diff fluid every 20K miles. If not severe use, then just check it every 20K miles. Why would I check it and not just change it?

Its listed in the Maintenance Schedule Chart.

DTECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I'm not mistaken. There is not near enough wear in a differential to justify changing the oil every 15k. I changed the oil in my dad's f250 at 120k, the oil still looked brand new and his limited slip works just as good as the day it was new. If your paranoid change it at 15k and then your good until 100k.

Your talking about a Ford. ...I changed mine for the first time at 120k and the fluid was dark brown and you can feel the debris inside...theres no paranoia 20 -30k if you tow and drive hard sounds reasonable, 60k with tranny service if you baby the truck is the most...not trying to argue and not saying your wrong but your giving info based on a completely different brand vehicle and diff..06-08 hemi rams will be noted in the service manual for 15k the newer ones will be at 20k...
Fluid at 120k 3.92 diff limited slip on 06 ram 1500

Attachments

• 20141017_113801.jpg
    20141017_113801.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 20141017_115550.jpg
    20141017_115550.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 20141017_114135.jpg
    20141017_114135.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 659

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your talking about a Ford. ...I changed mine for the first time at 120k and the fluid was dark brown and you can feel the debris inside...theres no paranoia 20 -300 if you tow and drive hard sounds reasonable, 60k with tranny service if you baby the truck is the most...not trying to argue and not saying your wrong but your giving info based on a completely different brand vehicle and diff..06-08 hemi rams will be noted in the service manual for 15k the newer ones will be at 20k...
Fluid at 120k 3.92 diff limited slip on 06 ram 1500

A axle is a axle when it comes to trucks. Some have helical gears for a lsd, and some have clutches for an lsd. But they all have ring and pinions and bearings. Look at the ram 2500/3500 manual and look at a chevy 2500/3500 manual. Same axle and I'm sure their diff service interval is different. I test them for a living and the amount of wear is minimal under normal driving, if you are overheating the diffential you will burn the oil and it then should be changed, but that won't happen if you stay within the capabilities of the vehicle.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Loveracing: I'm ignorant to the design of the Anti Slips in the 1500s are they gear or clutches?

I assume the clutch design.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Loveracing: I'm ignorant to the design of the Anti Slips in the 1500s are they gear or clutches?

I assume the clutch design.

I have never seen inside one of those. I've read online that it is a helical style but the owners manual still says it requires additive. The way it acted in my 1500 I would say it is a helical too. However a member on here posted pictures of the inside of his showing clutch plates.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Why do the manufacturers tell us to change it? I bought a new 44 for my jeep from Dana and it came with a tag telling me to change it. Everytime I changed it on my jeep (15K miles) there would be a clump of crap stuck to the magnet and it would smell really bad. I never thought to have it tested to see if it was still lubricating. Only takes a few minutes and a few dollars to change it.

Confused.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why do the manufacturers tell us to change it? I bought a new 44 for my jeep from Dana and it came with a tag telling me to change it. Everytime I changed it on my jeep (15K miles) there would be a clump of crap stuck to the magnet and it would smell really bad. I never thought to have it tested to see if it was still lubricating. Only takes a few minutes and a few dollars to change it.

Confused.

Was that synthetic in it? The only time I've seen it smell really bad is when a vehicle has towed very heavy for long periods. Or an axle that has been tested for a long time. Look at it this way, as soon as you change the oil in a diesel it turns black again, that doesn't mean the oil is bad though.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, always synth in the diff as the manual calls for.

A diesel has carbon from combustion making it black. The only thing contaminating diff oil is ground up metal from the gear set and bearings. Its just an egg beater full of oil. I say follow the manual and get it out. BTW, the front diff never had the crap in it that the rear had in my jeep. The diffs had magnetic drain plugs, so I just used to pull the drain plug and check them. If the plug was clumped with crap, I changed it. Needed it every time in the rear, but only occasionally in the front.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My ZF 235 LSD is clutch type, and I just did my rear diff at 30k, and that **** was nasty, smelly, and had a fair bit of metal flakes in it. I haven't beat the **** out of my truck, or anything, so I recommend doing the first change fairly early on. I also think the lack of pre-load on the clutch packs lets them slip more like an open diff, and wear more.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Welcome to RF! Its easy, Just Change it at the recommended interval as recommended in the servicing schedule when its under warranty...Period! If you refuse they will note it on file but it sounds like you are due at 32K Km and they where trying to help you get it done a tad sooner.

When Outta Warranty you can push it to 50K Km (30K Miles) IMO if you just drive it and don't Tow anything.....Myself I got an Auburn/4.56 Combo so GL-5 Oil is Cheap as it doesn't Run the Full Synthetic so every second season I drop it cause I Tow and use the Ford Friction Modifier as recommended.

Hope you decide to Come back and Participate on the Forum. Danny B from Alberta.

Jarebear93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told the same at 60k miles still trying to figure out if mine needs it.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
First off... the guy showing you black oil is just trying to get at your wallet. It is difficult at best to judge the lifespan of a lubricant by looking at a sample or smelling it. It is irresponsible of them in my opinion.

People can do as they please and you should follow your manual. My manual is clear as mud on the topic. It says to "check differential" at I think 30K (going from memory) but the change is only with "severe service". Since the definition of severe service is vague we are left with only guidelines.

Here is where I've landed based on researching what all manufacturers recommend. And Lovesracing1988 is absolutely right. There is nothing special about the gears/anti-slip/axle RAM is using. It has the same requirements as any pig.

Fluid: Use ONLY the OEM fluid or a very high quality synthetic with the same viscosity spec.

1st Service: 30K (miles)
Ever service thereafter: every 60K miles

That is exceedingly cautious for non-severe duty. If I towed all the time I'd probably send off a sample for an oil analysis to better understand the needed interval.

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Fluid: Use ONLY the OEM fluid or a very high quality synthetic with the same viscosity spec.

The Chrysler/Mopar branded gear oil has been in shown, in multiple tests I've read about online, to be not that great. I'm sure it works fine enough, but you can do much better.

I use Amsoil Severe Gear oil, at the manual recommended weights (or very close to it). 75w-90 for the front, and 75w-140 for the rear. Changed mine at just past 55k on the truck. Honestly, it probably didn't need it, but peace of mind is nice, and the better fluid cannot hurt.