Sport hood functional

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackout10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is there a kit to make the sport hood functional? From what I've seen the vararam is prolly the closest to making that true.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
no, and the vararam wouldnt be able to take advantage of it either. the vararam sits in between the 'air scoops' of the sport hood.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been debated alot here and the gain isn't worth the cost /work is the general consensus.

I have thought the same thing and looked at the structure of the hood and it would take major fabrication to alter the scoops to make them functional.

I still plan to one day make them function as a heat extractor set up but havent calculated the effectiveness of the air volume that would move through and if it will have any effect. but this is some major fab work that will have to wait till I build my shop and buy another hood and buy all the metal fab equipment. So in otherwords its doubtfull I will do it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R/T--sounds like it might be cheaper to send your hood the Foose to get it fixed. :)
Jay

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
R/T--sounds like it might be cheaper to send your hood the Foose to get it fixed. :)
Jay

More like my whole truck... Mustang and PowerWagon.... lol and If I'm lucky the CUDA I keep trying to talk the GF into if I give her my mustang and paint it pink.

I have a lot of projects in the que hence the need (want) for all the equipment. I still have alot of equipment at the old farm shop I can use but since the business divorce I dont go over their much. once I get my little shop up I'll bring some of what I have home.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has been debated alot here and the gain isn't worth the cost /work is the general consensus.

I have thought the same thing and looked at the structure of the hood and it would take major fabrication to alter the scoops to make them functional.

I still plan to one day make them function as a heat extractor set up but havent calculated the effectiveness of the air volume that would move through and if it will have any effect. but this is some major fab work that will have to wait till I build my shop and buy another hood and buy all the metal fab equipment. So in otherwords its doubtfull I will do it.

I recall somebody on here saying that due the aerodynamics, even if the scoops were "functional" they still wouldn't really allow any airflow, or something like; they would allow less and less airflow as the truck went faster and faster. I think it was because they are not close enough to the front of the hood. But I bet, since they're at least near the highest point above the engine bay, I could see them allowing heat to escape when the truck is stopped. Could be helpful on hot days...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recall somebody on here saying that due the aerodynamics, even if the scoops were "functional" they still wouldn't really allow any airflow, or something like; they would allow less and less airflow as the truck went faster and faster. I think it was because they are not close enough to the front of the hood. But I bet, since they're at least near the highest point above the engine bay, I could see them allowing heat to escape when the truck is stopped. Could be helpful on hot days...

I could see it going both ways... But lean more towards it being beneficial to extract heat, maybe not as a ram air though. Maybe one day I'll get to this

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if you do a little research on Ram Air you'll find it really doesn't work until you get to something like 150 mph.There is a number and I read it somewhere,but I have CRS(CAN'T REMEMBER ****).Any way I doubt any of the trucks on this forum would benefit from making it functional other than getting rid of some heat.

Grown in Tx.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been wondering about this, the guy that i got my '14 express from took a Sawzall to the seal between the hood and grill and cut away the hood insulation all to accommodate the k&n intake. I wish i would have noticed it but all you can see when you pop the hood is air filter.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could see it going both ways... But lean more towards it being beneficial to extract heat, maybe not as a ram air though. Maybe one day I'll get to this

I would consider using real grills in those hood scoops to allow heat to escape, when stopped. That could be helpful on hot days while hauling or towing. But that would also be another entry point for water and dirt to get into the engine bay.

The Ram-air effect requires a boatload of R&D to show that it'll actually work. Especially as an aftermarket component. Wind tunnels, intake designs, dyno testing, ect.. Without scientific proof, it's a gimmick. And like I said, I'm fairly certain that the aerodynamics of the truck don't support any functional use of the Sport hood scoops.

I think if you do a little research on Ram Air you'll find it really doesn't work until you get to something like 150 mph.There is a number and I read it somewhere,but I have CRS(CAN'T REMEMBER ****).Any way I doubt any of the trucks on this forum would benefit from making it functional other than getting rid of some heat.

Ram air - like the old spy-plane, the SR-71 Blackbird having Ramjet engines - had to be well above the sound barrier for it to do anything. That aircraft would actually get better fuel mileage the faster it went. That is an example of Ram air *really* working. My old 1999 Trans Am WS6 with the "Ram Air" package (that went consistently 8-9 mph faster in the standing mile with a base model hood), is not an example of Ram Air working. Lol

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a Ram Air or open ports it acts more as a avenue for cooler, fresher air which is beneficial to engine performance as everyone knows that cooler air will net better performance. As for the pressure difference to increase air mass being inducted into a the throttle body, you want more air than a N/A motor get a super or turbo charger.

This is why I want to use it more as a heat extractor, cause lowering underhood temps is more important than a ram air system... I originally wanted to have a ram air but the Vararam system nets the purpose of this with its design. And its a easy test to see if it worked or was a waste of time. all it takes is a thermometer.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting..... Didn't know that is actually existing... may have to buy a set to play with to see how and what can be made work...

I have the vararam so that in itself is useless to me but can rework it to mix with the vararam... I still want more of a heat extractor than a ram air.. I did at first want the Ram air, mostly cause I hate fake **** on cars that is there for just looks when it should have a function but that's just my car ocd

And looking at that I wish they showed more images on it on how it integrates with the hood structure and vent on the sport hood.

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got mine set up with the seals high enough to actually seal to the bottom of the hood so when I do add a functional hood like the Super Snake hood it will bring cold air directly into the Vararam, but you'll never get true ram air unless you can go past the sound barrier from what I've read.

IMG_20150912_183903_453.jpg

IMG_20150825_182948_331.jpg

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The scoops are too low to catch any air when moving so the air flows right over top of them.The only thing opening them up would do is let out some hot air when sitting still.

Mikey74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have made my hood vents on my ram sport active on both sides. Does anyone know if there is some kind of attachment that goes from the driver side vent over to the passenger side vent, so some kind of ducting to connect the two and drive more air int the cold air intake?? I have searched everywhere online and have come up with nothing. Is this going to be a DIY project.? Please help! Any info would be greatly appreciated.