Very hard start when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockyny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 ram suddenly started being very hard to start after sitting for an extended period of time like overnight. When I turn the key to crank it will turn over and keep cranking even if I let go of the key fob. I found that if I cycle the key on/off for at least 3 times before I try cranking, the engine will fire then immediately stall. If I repeat this process about 3 times, it will finally fire and stay running. Once it stays running, it runs and idles normally. I can let it set for at least an hour with no restart problem at all, but the longer it goes the harder it gets. I'm thinking a bad pressure reg or leaking injector but wanted some other opinions. I need to see if I can borrow a fuel pressure tester somewhere since I don't own one. There are no codes being thrown and no engine light. Am I on the right track? I also read some info indicating a bad cam pos sensor can cause these symptoms.
Forgot to mention. I have the 4.7, it is stock. Truck has 56k miles

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like a fuel issue" pump not getting triggerd"

OP
OP
R

rockyny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I pretty much ruled out a fuel pump or injector problem because I can hear the fuel pump running and I checked for pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. I talked to a friend who has a auto garage and he said it sounds to him like a temperature sensor is bad, which made sense. I didn't have time to make an appointment with him to get it checked out, but tonight I was driving it and got home, shut the truck off and noticed that the fuel pump was still running, even if I removed the key. I let it go for a while to see if it would eventually shut off, but after 10 minutes of running I decided it wasn't going to. I disconnected the neg battery cable for a while, but the fuel pump started back up as soon as I reconnected it. A brief online search indicates the TIPM is probably shot, with an average repair cost of $1500. Needless to say, I'm not very happy right now...