What to start with first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTMjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys so this year I'm hoping to super charge my truck. So what should I start doing? What is the first upgrade? I was going to order some cams this week. Then get my pistons bottom and top end done. What order should I do this in? Thanks guys.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You may be good on stock internals? I've known a good number of people who've added a power adder to their GM LS3's making 700+ HP on stock internals and they were fine, but I'm not that familiar with the quality of stock internals on our HEMIs.

Me personally, I'd probably start with a good foundation... i.e. intake, long tube headers, a cam thats going to work well with the power adder, suspension system mods, braking system mods, etc. etc. Basically all the little things. No sense to me putting a power adder on when what matters the most is being able to put that power down! And stopping!

OP
OP
K

KTMjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks suspension is on order. Just wanting to do bits and pieces when I can that don't cost a fortune all at once.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Honest opinion from someone who's done it: buy the supercharger first. Everything else is a supporting mod to that and you will end up spending your money on all the supporting mods and never buy the supercharger, it's what has happened to everybody who's ever asked me about my build and then they never buy the damned supercharger because of the cost after putting everything else on. Once you've eaten the $5-8K cost of a blower, dropping $1400 on a set of headers doesn't seem so bad, but when you've dropped $2500 in supporting mods that $7K starts looking a lot more daunting.

If you get the supercharger first then that cost is already taken care of and you can safely and easily run a supercharger on a completely stock engine. Over time you then can add all the supporting items as they become necessary or you want more power: long tube headers, ported heads, forged rotating assembly/block if you want to make more that 8psi, a blower specific cam (a stock cam is decent for boost anyways).

You may be good on stock internals? I've known a good number of people who've added a power adder to their GM LS3's making 700+ HP on stock internals and they were fine, but I'm not that familiar with the quality of stock internals on our HEMIs.

Me personally, I'd probably start with a good foundation... i.e. intake, long tube headers, a cam thats going to work well with the power adder, suspension system mods, braking system mods, etc. etc. Basically all the little things. No sense to me putting a power adder on when what matters the most is being able to put that power down! And stopping!

You can't compare a LS engine to the hemi, totally different engines with zero carry over between them. Stock pistons take 7-8psi or 9-10psi with a good tune and water ****. The rule of thumb on the stock 5.7L hypereutectoid pistons is 550rwhp with boost before you're on a time bomb.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
We should get together some time and talk about your build plans and I can tell you what you do and don't need based on the power you want to achieve and where you can save some money.

OP
OP
K

KTMjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We should get together some time and talk about your build plans and I can tell you what you do and don't need based on the power you want to achieve and where you can save some money.

Awesome that would be good I have a lot planed this year. And lucky my friend has a massive shop to use.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
@KTMJohn, would love to see a build thread on this!