2008 Dodge 1500-Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canes61061

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Florida so we run the AC on the truck practically year round. I have a 2008 5.7 Hemi Big Horn with 163000 miles.I am noticing that my AC is not working correctly and blowing hot air when not moving and ALSO, when I am moving but it does eventually stay on enough to cool the truck. When driving a few miles it seems to still be cutting off and on but the cool air does seem to take over and the truck cools down. I assumed it was the condenser coil? fan which I have replaced twice, but this time it seems a little different. The AC clutch keeps cycling on and off. If it is the fan again, does that make the clutch engage and disengage? Is there a way to test that little fan to see if it is working or not? Could it be the AC clutch? Sorry, I am a plumbing contractor and not an auto mechanic, but I have taken care of most issues with my old truck. Thanks for your help in advance!

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
When is the last time you had your freon levels checked? Sounds like your low on freon to me.

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or your freezing your condenser possibly? Have you checked that?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you looked to see if your condenser fan is working or not? No the fan does not control the Ac compressor. The Ac compressor controls the fan. Basically if your compressor is running, the fan should be running. Sounds like a fan issue to me because the Ac doesn't work when sitting still but it does work when moving. Usually is an issue with the condenser fan.

If the fan isn't running, it will make the compressor cycle on and off. Basically pressures will get out of wack and it will shut the compressor off. While it's off, pressures come back to acceptable ranges and it will turn back on and continue this over and over.

Before just adding refrigerant you need to get the charge checked. Too much refrigerant will cause just as many if not more issues than you are having now. And if it needs refrigerant, there is a leak somewhere.

OP
OP
C

canes61061

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the OP...
The two times in the past that the fan was not working, a mechanic told me so. Not sure how you check it other than just looking, right? Or an OMHs check through the fan? I did add Freon a few months ago through one of those Freon add kits at a local auto parts store. It was low. But it seemed I could never get enough Freon in the system. It only got up to the lower level in the correct Freon range on the gauge that comes with that system. It has worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now that it is hotter (mid-80's) I really notice the problem so it could have been this way all along.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, glad you got it figured out

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the fan! I should stick to plumbing! Thanks for your help!

which fan was it? i am going to check my freon levels this week just want to check that fan too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990