Ac fan help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I was told that when the truck is running and in park or drive or in any gear and if it's moving or idle the ac condenser fan is supposed to be spinning, is this true?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
AC fan should only be spinning if you're using the AC or the defroster

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, especially since in park, since you're not moving and there's no heat transfer.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told that when the truck is running and in park or drive or in any gear and if it's moving or idle the ac condenser fan is supposed to be spinning, is this true?

Who told you this lol? Some people need to check their facts.

But yes, the only time the condenser fan should be running is if the ac is on, so basically whenever you have the ac or defroster selected on the hvac controls. Also, on the newer trucks, below a certain ambient temperature the ac compressor will not run to prevent freezing components. Not sure if the 02 trucks do this though.

Stand in front of the truck while it's running and watch the ac compressor clutch. Have someone turn the ac on and off. You should see the clutch engaging and disengaging. If your ac compressor is not engaging when ac is selected, then power is not making it to the compressor clutch for some reason. Could be the controls, a fuse/relay, pressure switch etc. Or the ambient temp is too low. If your compressor IS engaging however, then the fan should run with it. If the compressor engages and the fan doesn't run, then there is an issue somewhere either in the fan circuit or the fan itself is bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Who told you this lol? Some people need to check their facts.

But yes, the only time the condenser fan should be running is if the ac is on, so basically whenever you have the ac or defroster selected on the hvac controls. Also, on the newer trucks, below a certain ambient temperature the ac compressor will not run to prevent freezing components. Not sure if the 02 trucks do this though.

Stand in front of the truck while it's running and watch the ac compressor clutch. Have someone turn the ac on and off. You should see the clutch engaging and disengaging. If your ac compressor is not engaging when ac is selected, then power is not making it to the compressor clutch for some reason. Could be the controls, a fuse/relay, pressure switch etc. Or the ambient temp is too low. If your compressor IS engaging however, then the fan should run with it. If the compressor engages and the fan doesn't run, then there is an issue somewhere either in the fan circuit or the fan itself is bad.

It's my fan. Checked everything else and then I plugged a new fan into it and it spun so that was the problem and thanks for the info it was very informative and I learned a lot off these forums