Coil-Over Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I'm looking for rear coil-over shocks for a 3rd-generation 4X4 2500 and am not seeing them available. Nothing exotic; just something like Gabriels or Monroes. I can't seem to find anything past 2nd-generation trucks and I've searched here/on-line with various terms. Looked at websites for the two companies above. Don't know if my search skills suck or if there simply isn't any made. Thanks for any help.

BTW, truck is stock height and I'm not wanting to change that. Don't know if that matters.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
2500 use a leaf spring suspension in the rear so if your planning on staying stock then your just looking for a new shock an there's plenty of companies out there
I'm running pro comp es9000 cause they are a inexpensive gas shock

Coilovers on the back of any ram is big money

Dawizman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We put a coil-over shock on the rear of my old 2004 work truck. I'll have to take a look next time I'm'm at the shop & see what brand it was.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Coilovers on the back of any ram is big money
I guess..the type of shock I have in mind traditionally wasn't a high-dollar item. They were usually ~double $ of a replacement OEM-type. All I want them for is a little more carrying capacity. EDIT: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=196039 Although this is the model number (not eligible for my truck, though) I linked to in my last post, clearly you can see these are $50.00 each. Not big money.

We put a coil-over shock on the rear of my old 2004 work truck. I'll have to take a look next time I'm'm at the shop & see what brand it was.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
This is what a coilover shock looks like, its what is used for the front suspension of 06-current 1500
How-CoilOver%20Mounting.gif

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
^Not trying to flame, but I think you mistake me for being ignorant about such matters. I don't get the connection between a primer on suspension componentry and sourcing a part.
2500 use a leaf spring suspension in the rear so if your planning on staying stock then your just looking for a new shock an there's plenty of companies out there
Well aware of it having a leaf-spring rear suspension. Every truck I've had in the ~30 years of driving had them. And to show that nothing is new under the sun, as a kid my dad had a C10 with coil spring rear like the new Ram 1500s.
This is what a coilover shock looks like, its what is used for the front suspension of 06-current 1500
I'm familiar with what they look like.

http://gabriel.com/our-products/car-light-truck-van/pv-search/?yr=2002&make=Dodge&model=Ram+2500&engine=1 Scroll down and you'll see P/N 43181; Rear Load Carrier. This is what I am looking for, but they don't show it to be applicable for 3rd Generation Rams. They are not some exotic shock nor retrofit; they used to be quite common as a less-costly alternative to helper leafs or air shocks/bags.

Last edited:

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Go to Orielly and check out the Monroe sensa trac coil over shocks . There on my 99 and a buddy has them on his 02 1500 ( new body )

TexasCornBread - If you can't Dodge it RAM it !

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
^Thanks, but I already searched Monroe and the various parts store websites. Apparently, they're not available for my application. MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: e-Catalog Hope this links to the particular search page. Sensa-Trac load-adjusting shocks aren't listed as a choice.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not following why you are looking for "replacement" coil-over suspension for your truck when you know that the rear has leaf springs. You arn't going to find a part number to fit your truck because they don't exist.

If you are wanting to swap out the rear suspension in favor of a coil-over set-up it's not going to be found on a local "Pep Boys" shelf, it's going to be a one off kind of thing.

Stangshcky12 isn't trying to say you're ignorant, He was just pointing out what a coil-over was because your post makes it sound like you think that you can just pick up and OEM replacement part that doesnt exist for your truck.

A catalog is going to be full of replacement parts that bolt right onto the vehicle like the OEM part that was removed. Adding coil-over suspension to the rear will require a lot more work than replacing the shock with a coil-over spring and strut.
I hope someone that has done this will chime in to give you a hand.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I'm not following why you are looking for "replacement" coil-over suspension for your truck when you know that the rear has leaf springs. You arn't going to find a part number to fit your truck because they don't exist.
But my thread is titled Coil-Over Shocks. Not Coil-Spring Suspension. I didn't ask how/don't want to convert to coil springs. Dawizman and TexasCornBread fully understand what I'm looking for.

Thanks again, all.

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
But my thread is titled Coil-Over Shocks. Not Coil-Spring Suspension. I didn't ask how/don't want to convert to coil springs. Dawizman and TexasCornBread fully understand what I'm looking for.

Thanks again, all.

True, but
A coil-over employs both a strut and coil spring which would render the leaf springs redundant and not needed. You have a strut and a coil spring, are you just looking for the strut?

Do you have a part number or pic to relate what you are refering to and describing.. So I can understand?

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359939678.532300.jpg

This is a coil over shock . It's just a direct bolt in ! I have the 3/4 Ton ones on my ram with 3/4 helper leafs .

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
View attachment 10270

This is a coil over shock . It's just a direct bolt in ! I have the 3/4 Ton ones on my ram with 3/4 helper leafs .

I know what a coil-over is, I am very familiar with suspension set-ups as I have been upgrading them for about 20 years.

What I am trying to understand is...where a coil-over comes into play on a leaf sprung truck.
I guess the better question is...What purpose is there to add a coil spring to the rear suspension of a leaf sprung truck?
From what I'm seeing it looks like you (or whoever) is replacing the rear shock with a coil-over strut. Which in turn you now have a strut valved for the coil spring now trying to control the spring and the leaf??

Thats all I'm trying to understand.

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yeah to help when towing loads such as travel trailers and horse trailer ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359942562.617128.jpg

With out the coil overs and new 3/4 Tom leaf helper I'd be dragging the ground as I used to .

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I know what a coil-over is, I am very familiar with suspension set-ups as I have been upgrading them for about 20 years.

What I am trying to understand is...where a coil-over comes into play on a leaf sprung truck.
I guess the better question is...What purpose is there to add a coil spring to the rear suspension of a leaf sprung truck?
From what I'm seeing it looks like you (or whoever) is replacing the rear shock with a coil-over strut. Which in turn you now have a strut valved for the coil spring now trying to control the spring and the leaf??

Thats all I'm trying to understand.
Like I mentioned in my second response (fourth post in the thread), extra weight carrying. I'm surprised if you've ~20 years experience and unfamiliar with the product/use. Perhaps you're dealing more with suspension lifts or handling rather than towing/cargo.

Those shocks are also overloads (usually rated ~300 lbs.). They're simpler to install than extra leafs or plumb like air shocks. I don't know how I can explain it any clearer.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
True, but
A coil-over employs both a strut and coil spring which would render the leaf springs redundant and not needed. You have a strut and a coil spring, are you just looking for the strut?

Do you have a part number or pic to relate what you are refering to and describing.. So I can understand?
No, it doesn't render the leaf springs redundant, it assists them. I posted a link in response #4 and #6 on the first page.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah to help when towing loads such as travel trailers and horse trailer View attachment 10273

With out the coil overs and new 3/4 Tom leaf helper I'd be dragging the ground as I used to .

Thank you!

Like I mentioned in my second response (fourth post in the thread), extra weight carrying. I'm surprised if you've ~20 years experience and unfamiliar with the product/use. Perhaps you're dealing more with suspension lifts or handling rather than towing/cargo.

Those shocks are also overloads (usually rated ~300 lbs.). They're simpler to install than extra leafs or plumb like air shocks. I don't know how I can explain it any clearer.

I'm more familiar with load leveling airbags such as Firestone and Air lift to level a load.
Others have stepped in and made it clear that you are looking for "Helper springs" but thanks for trying to explain it clearly.
And no, Ive dealt with everything from street performance set-ups in cars, to competition set-ups in cars, to lifted and lowered truck set-ups. Never have I heard anyone refer to helper springs as a coil-over. call me ignorant if you like, but what you are looking for is a helper spring set-up.

No, it doesn't render the leaf springs redundant, it assists them. I posted a link in response #4 and #6 on the first page.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
They go by variously by "coil-overs", "overload", "helper" and "load-leveling" shocks. With that many appelations, I thought it best to go with the consistent feature-coil-over. It's all good, now.

Since I can't find any, does anybody know what fundamentally changed about the shocks from 2nd to 3rd generation trucks? I can only guess something like length or method of mounting. If there wasn't a difference, I could simply order some for a 2002 to go on my 2005.

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Not sure what changed . I'd be interested to know also . Ill try to research this matter

Cosmo64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have an update to this. I'll be looking for these in a few weeks for mine as well.