Driver Door at Highway Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Does anyone else's driver side door sound like it's going to fly off when you are doing highway speeds? When I hit about 70-80 mph my door vibrates violently. Vibrate really isn't the right word...it literally moves like it is trying to fly off. Any idea what I can do to fix that?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check the weatherstripping to see if its cut and letting air pass between that and the door.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My passenger side has a bit of buffeting over 70 mph sometimes
If I pulled on the top of the window frame it would stop
I thought it was weather stripping but it was fine, I readjusted the door and it's stopped

I never had vibrating though

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Maybe buffeting is a better word for it. I'll check that weather stripping and maybe see about adjusting it if that's not it. How did you adjust it exactly?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My friend who does body work helped me, more or less did it lol
He loosened the bolts for the top hinge and was able to move it in just enough to keep a decent gap between the fender and tighten it up at the top against the weather stripping

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
That might be what I need to do. I checked the weather stripping and it looks fine. I'll see if I can't figure out how to adjust the door.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yep. Door needs adjusting Girlfriends sisters ram was fixed terribly and they didn't put the door on right, says it sounds like the door is gonna fly off.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did they too. My dad moved the striker in a little bit and its much better

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
It feels a little better to know I'm not the only one. :) I'll get out there today and try to adjust it and see what happens. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Ok...do you adjust it at the door side or the truck side? I can see where it looks like the top of the door is a little further from the front quarter panel than the bottom is. I also see where a bolt head on the latch side of the door is rubbing on the body where it closes. I guess after 8 years it's starting to sag a little. :)

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Well it looks like you have to remove the door to be able to adjust the hinges. That seems like a lot of work I don't feel like doing right now. So I adjusted the latch bracket instead. I moved it up a bit and that takes care of the sag. The door closes fine but you can kind of feel it bump a little as it closes.

Took it out on the highway and it was better, but it still does it some. So I tried moving the bracket in some too. That pulls the door closed more snugly. Also means that the driver door now goes in further than the passenger door so it doesn't quite look right. *sigh* But it does seem to have stopped the issue. I'll drive it like this for a bit to make sure and then decide if I want to do something else.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
This sounds like exterior