Passenger side window switch not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted this a while back on DF about how the passenger side window connection was loose. Somebody had said to rub some type of grease in the connection port on the driver's side to help maintain the connection between the driver's side and passenger side window, this way the switch for the window would work on the passenger's side. I forgot what type of grease was mentioned or where to possibly buy it. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? Haha.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yep,stuff you get with spark plug wires!

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup, that rang a bell lol. I'll have to check if they have it at pepboys or advanced tomorrow..someone said to just rub that stuff in the ports, hopefully that should do it. I'll give this a shot tomorrow..

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone grease designed to seal out moisture and, therefore, prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. Being non-conductive, it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. This property makes it an ideal lubricant and sealant for the rubber portions of electrical connectors.

Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose for my type of situation? That's what I'm using it for lol..

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I thought the same thing when I read that. I could see it helping if you were getting moisture in there that was causing the switch to short. :shrug:

cwboyjohnny24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the reason it was suggested was that the grease would hold the connection in place rather than enhance the electrical connection. From what I read, you don't have a problem with the connection other than it being loose. I would possibly look into a way just to hold the connector in place, like replacing the broken piece. It's gotta either be the switch or the connector itself that has the bad part of the clip. Either that or just find a way to tape it in place. lol

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well I don't know exactly what wire is not fully connected..the port has about 10-15 wires going into it, but if dielectric grease isn't conductive, how will it help spread the connection? Seems like it will just make a mess all over the ports and do no good :confused:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
From what I've used it for was mainly to hold electrical pin connectors in place. Like and extra set of hands. It may be the fact that the pins that plug in are loose and not making contact. Normally it's where a connection occurs that the signal is lost. So all the grease is going to do is hold the pins in place so that the pin can make a connection. If that makes any sense. That's what I use it for on small mods and electrical components that seem to short out. But that's my .02

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've used it for was mainly to hold electrical pin connectors in place. Like and extra set of hands. It may be the fact that the pins that plug in are loose and not making contact. Normally it's where a connection occurs that the signal is lost. So all the grease is going to do is hold the pins in place so that the pin can make a connection. If that makes any sense. That's what I use it for on small mods and electrical components that seem to short out. But that's my .02

Do you mean to use it on the actual wires that go into the port or use it on the actual power connector to the whole port?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
When you pull the loose switch out you have the connector.

Open the tube of dielectric grease and apply a small amount to the surfaces of the connectors where they meet. The grease will help stop future corrosion while allowing the electricity to make contact through it.

Reassemble the connector carefully. If any grease squeezes out during reassembly, wipe it off with a rag or towel.

Maybe I should ask what part of the switch is loose? Is it the connector or the whole module?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Not sure if I missed it or not but did the switch get wet like the window was left down in the rain or what. Pulling the switch from the connector you could see if there is any corrosion on the contacts and spray electrical cleaner on them that is quick dry. Like stated about the dielectric grease is used on connections but that is mostly to keep moistur out.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not the entire module, it's just the bottom connector..I just ran out and got some grease so I'm going to go ahead and apply some to that connector..specifically the ports where they connect, like you said. And yes, a few times some water was able to get onto that module so it is a possibility that water COULD have leaked onto it.

Doesn't work, I put the dielectric grease on all the connectors but it didn't do anything..here is a pic so you can see which connector I'm talking about..

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went back out and applied a little more but still got no response..so I thought to maybe try it on the passenger side, so I applied it to the bottom port on the passenger side and I clicked the window switch up, but no response. I clicked it a couple more times and boom, it worked..lol. Glad I finally got this fixed...now on to the next problem, my CEL :mad: lol..

Thank you to you guys who helped me out with my window issue! :)

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Cool sounds like something just wont sitting right. Gotta love electrical problems.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well good that's one thing off your plate. Electrical problems are like gremlins. Impossible to find and remove sometimes. On to the next one. Lol

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the window today and it is acting up again. I applied the dielectric grease to all four connector ports and the passenger window still doesn't roll down from the passenger's side..anyone know why it all of a sudden decided to stop working? Even after re-applying the grease again? :confused:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you could get your hands on a multi meter and a wiring diagram you could check both cont through the switch and power supply to it. Does the window still go up and down from the driverside?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007