Power Steering Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll give a brief history in case this is somehow linked to each other... started when I was losing PS fluid and had to refill about 1/2 quart a month. Truck is 04 Ram 1500.

Looked under truck and noticed drips everywhere... isolated drips to (3) possible places: pump, pressure switch on HP line, and connection for LP hose at the steering rack (from cooler).

I replaced the pump first (highest drip point). Seemed to solve that problem.

HP Switch still had drips a week later, so I replaced that also. I also added a 2nd hose clamp to the LP hose at the rack at same time. Seemed to solve the switch problem now.

Now the LP hose seems to still leak... and now its developing a leak on the other side coming off the cooler. This hose is LP and only about 1.5 foot long doing a straight shot and looks visibly fine. Do they just go bad like this? I'm guessing it might be clogged? How though?

To replace it seems easy... but it has a compression clamp at the steering rack, can I just use a hose clamp there? Or do I need a tool or some for that fitting. The other fitting at the cooler is just a plyer connection.

Thanks,

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I put a clamp on mine and that solved the leak at the end of the hose.

04gixx6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had same issue. Replaced all clamps. Still leaking. Degreased EVERYTHING from the PS resevoir down to rack. Waited a few days and popped the hood, and noticed a little ATF on the reservoir. Checked cap to make sure o-ring was in place, and it was. Come to find out the reservoir has a crack! Right on the top on a seam.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk