Spare tire stuck cable goes down but not tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a recent 2002 4.7 to 2006 hemi upgrader, so some features are slightly different between the two trucks and I am having a issue with the spare which pun intended spare me all the details on how it works etc. Question is since there is a difference in the two cables between 02 and 06 with 06 having a spring on the end, is there some kind of pin or something up between the tire and underside? This is what is going on, freely and easily can crank the winch up and down no problem cable moves with every turn however the tire and the wing part of the cable that slips through the hub of the wheel remains in place. I have tried smacking with hammers. pry bars even a 4ft long pry bar and two and the same time on that dam wing and tire itself. It will flex when i pry but it will not come down.

So in 06 or starting after 2002 models is there something i am missing here or am i really down to cutting the wing and replacing the winch system? I know how to so not afraid of that just something else to spend money on and I am the type that everything must be working right and correct parts.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There's no pin, it should just drop down with the cable as your cranking. I'd loosen it up and give it a kick or beat on it with something. Sounds like it might just be corroded to the bottom of the bed?