Body lift steering linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im wanting to put bigger tires on my truck, but I want to get it a few inches higher first, I already have air bags in the back and the front is leveled, so it sits about 1.5"-2" higher than a stock half tonne (I think this is true, Im not entirely certain, but im not getting into that now). So body lift is the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish this, but I am a hack and enjoy spending the least amount of money to accomplish a goal (just look at my stereo), so rather than shelling out the $300 or so for a kit, hockey pucks apparently work, so maybe Ill try that. But what I dont know is how to deal with steering, do I need to extend a linkage or something to make everything line up? Not sure how much I want to lift it yet, 3" seems ideal. Thanks, Ill make more posts as I learn more

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't cheap out! I'd save up and buy a kit. I've seen bad things happen with people doing home made body lifts.

stev0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2007
Engine
4.7, 4.7 flex fuel
Don't cheap out! I'd save up and buy a kit. I've seen bad things happen with people doing home made body lifts.

I've never seen bad things happen personally, but i agree don't cheap out! Hell, when I lived in florida there was a guy that built a 1st gen camaro & c3 vette - both had steel blocks welded onto the frame to give them something crazy like 12" of body lift & he would take them on the beach with baja tires!

Anyways, from what research I've done, it looks like after get the steering linkage extension, 4wd shifter extension, weight supports for the bed flooring, longer bolts, etc. You will be in a close range with buying a kit. The big difference is if you want your bumpers lifted you HAVE TO cut the ends off the frame rails & raise them. The kits come with these new frame rail ends.

AND for the 3rd gens, the cheapest performance accessories 3" body lift I've been able to find is $450ish on both amazon & ebay which is a lot more than your estimated $300.