Undercoating or paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerle_33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking to lift my truck 6 in. But then the bottom would be exposed and pretty visible and it is a rusty orange/brownish color so I was lookin to undercoat with the rubberized kind and do it my self. But didn't know wether to use a regular paint gun or not. Then I heard to just sand the rust ,primer it then paint it with some rust oleum. I don't know what one to go with. Any input or tips would be great. Also was looking to paint my calipers. Info on that would be awesome too.

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say do all of that as it is kind of useless to put an undercoating without removing the rust. Like you outline sand, prime paint and then put a rubberized undercoat. I see your in Pennsylvania so it would work better for you to do so with all the salt and snow.

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I just did the bottom of mine. I sanded mine down, cleaned it up, sprayed rust converter on spots that I couldn't get out and then I used gloss black rustoleum engine paint. I used about 6 cans so far on the frame and wheel wells, and I really like the way it looks. It's oil, water, and dirt resistant too. I just spray the bottom of my truck with the hose and the dirt literally falls right off. I plan to take pics soon. Just remember to follow the directions on the cans. I learned the hard way and sprayed the first coat, waited 48 hours and sprayed the second coat because all rustoleum cans I've used says within an hour of after 48 hours to recoat. Well I didn't read the can and it wrinkled the paint. I read the can and it says 7 days....ooppss...lol

As far as the calipers go, I just did mine in rustoleum red caliper paint and I LOVE it. I realized it's pretty much the exact same paint in the caliper paint and engine paint. Both durable and heat resistant. Hope this helps some.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you undercoat it, I hope you either pay somebody to do your work or you never have to remove any nuts/bolts under there.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinkin about removing my bed and undercoating everything if I plan on moving back to Michigan. But for now that isnt happening. I may just do it for "fun" tho. Lol. Can you paint over the rubberized coating?

dwysywd

Reaction score
Ram Year
1983 D350 CCSB
Engine
360ci
I used chassis saver aluminum. Went on smooth. Way easier than the black. Looks great and works even better. Don't spray anything unless you are really really good with spray. As for nuts and bolts, unlike undercoating, this protects your nuts and bolts and they are easier to remove should you have a need. It's $110 gal.
Took me five hours to do my 24 foot crew cab truck.

Sent from my bag phone...

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Another vote for Chassis Saver. Much cheaper than por15 and easier to apply.