Door Panel Removal to Install Tow Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey All,

New to the forum. Recently traded in my 07 Tahoe and picked up an 07 1500 SLT. I had alot of success the affiliated TahoeYukonForum.com, so I'm definately excited to join the group here.

First thing on my list of things to do is remove the standard side view mirrors and install the tow mirrors. I've done some light searching on here and was unable to find any walk-throughs.

Looks like the door panels will have to come off. I can see 3 or 4 screws, but I imagine there are some clips I'll have to work around too. Does anyone know the best way to get the panels off? What tools would you recommend using? Is it a pretty easy swap once I see how everything is hooked up? I'm not very electrically inclined and the mirrors are power and heated.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Copy and pasted from another site, sorry couldn't get the pics

Install and Review of: Kool-Vue Power, Heated Tow Mirrors - MSET-DG44E

Review:
I'll start with the review, then move onto the install. This was performed on my 2004 Ram 1500, but should apply to all the 3G bodies.

I recently bought a travel trailer and with the stock mirrors I couldn't see around it. I bought a set of the slide on mirror extenders but they shook so bad they were useless.

I needed something and after a quick search I found tow mirrors by Kool-Vue. They are power and heated mirrors that connect directly to the factory wiring. I read several review of both the Dodge type tow mirrors as well as tow mirrors for other trucks made by Kool-Vue. The reviews I had read were mixed and inconclusive. I didn't want to take a chance on getting someone else's broken trash OEM mirrors off e-bay and I couldn't afford new OEM mirrors so I took a chance. The mirrors are made in Taiwan.

The fit and finish of the mirrors is excellent. They come with all the hardware as well as new weather seals. Removing the seals I was pleased to see a sturdy metal frame underneath the plastic outer shell.

I placed them side by side with my stock non-tow mirrors and they looked like OEM pieces. They are slightly wider then the non-towing mirrors.

The mirror's normal position features a bug-eye mirror in the outside upper corner. It's a good size and once you get used to it it's very handy. It looks worlds better then a common parts store stick on bug eye.

In the tow position, the bug-eye mirror is in the lower outside position. The mirror is now vertical and it's viewing area kind of resembles a "West Coast" mirror. Extended the mirrors are approximately 4" wider per side. You do have to reset the mirrors when you flip them between normal and tow modes, but there is a sensor in the mirror so that left is left, up is up, etc regardless of if the mirror is in the tow mode or normal mode. I was afraid up would become left, etc when you switched them from normal to tow.

The mirrors themselves are very sturdy. They fold in just like the standard mirrors. All the standard controls work just like the non-tow mirrors. The downside is that the mirror itself isn't made of glass. It is a cheap plastic type mirror that has a visible distortion that can be seen. It's slight, but it's obvious that it's there. Also because of the lack of rigidity and lack of mass because of not having glass the mirrors do shake. It's not excessive and the mirrors are usable, unlike the slip on tow mirrors that they replaced, but there is a shake. It's worse when in the tow mode, but again the mirrors are still usable.

Additionally, like the OEM tow mirrors, the main part of the passenger mirror is not convex so images are as they appear. This takes some getting use to and reduces the viewable area of the mirror. The bug-eye mirror more then makes up for it however.

The Kool-Vue mirrors list for around $400, but I searched around online and found them for $237 including shipping for the pair. At this price I am happy with the performance and would give these mirrors a positive review. If some mirror shake is going to bother you, or you don't like the idea of non-glass mirrors then you may want to save up for the OEM tow mirrors.

Install:

Tools needed:
10mm socket, preferably on a 1/4 in drive.
Philips head screw driver

Step 1:
Undo the large screw at the forward top part of the door panel by the mirror.

Step 2:
Reach in and grab the door panel and lift slightly as you pull away from the door. You will see a clip that holds the door panel onto the door.

Step 3:
Unplug the electrical connection (if applicable) by squeezing the release clip on the bottom of the connector. Next unscrew the three nuts holding the mirror in place. Start with the bottom one, it's hidden at the bottom of the foam piece. ** Be careful not to drop the nuts **. Next remove the front nut, then the top nut.

Step 4:
Remove the mirror from the door. On the electrical connector there are two clips that hold the mirror to the door. Using your fingers or an appropriate tool, depress the clips as you remove the mirror.

Step 5:
Your door should look like this. I took some time to clean and put a little wax on the area behind the mirror.

Step 6:
Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Check the pins on the electrical connectors, one of mine wasn't inserted all the way, but I was able to get it all the way in before I installed the mirror.

With the door open, standing outside the truck I inserted the mirror and lightly threaded the front nut in to hold the mirror. I then went to the inside and threaded the rest of the nuts on. I held the mirror against the door and was able to hand tighten them most of the way, then I used the socket.

I then reattached the electrical connector and function tested the mirrors. After that was done, I reached back into the door panel like at the start and lifted as I pushed the panel back in. I then reattach the screw at the top and moved onto the other side.

All in all the process took me 15 minutes with taking pictures. If you're good with a wrench you could probably do it in 10 minutes or less. I did drop one of the nuts into the door panel, but the Kool-Vue's came with nuts so I left it there.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
first off welcome to the site and congrats on the ram.

Taking the door panel off isn't hard at all. there are screws around the edge and bottom and the one at the mirror(i believe there might also be one in the handle to pull door shut) . Then there is a bolt holding on the door release handle (10 mm socket) after all those are out there are plastic clips(more like plugs that have to be popped out all around the edges. After they are out lift up and out.

Its been a while, but i think that is pretty much it

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Much appreciated! I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks man.

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
I want to see pics after you get them on! I have the OEM tow mirrors on my list but am definitely curious what these aftermarket ones look like.

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I want to see pics after you get them on! I have the OEM tow mirrors on my list but am definitely curious what these aftermarket ones look like.

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

he didn't say if he had oem or aftermarket.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Kool vue mirrors
Normal.jpg
Tow.jpg

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Wermbang, those look gooood

he didn't say if he had oem or aftermarket.

After reading the second post about the kool-vue ones I thought thats what he was putting on.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Wermbang, those look gooood

After reading the second post about the kool-vue ones I thought thats what he was putting on.

no problem man, i can see how you would think that.

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to update everyone. Put the new mirrors on yesterday and the install was a breeze thanks to the help I got in this thread. I was able to do it by myself in probably 45 mins. I will post pics and do a proper introduction in a week or two. There are a few more things I wanna do before I get the camera out. Thanks again!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
awesome....glad you were able to do it easily. Any hints on the other mods?

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha - nothing crazy. I've just done the mirrors...leather to be installed shortly. Maybe a console. While there are some bad ass trucks on here, I 'm not really into the performance or off-road mods. I'm just trying to do some factory upgrades.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that's ok though, its about doing what you like and making your truck your's