03 Ram 1500 4.7 Engine Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I have a 03 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 magnum. It has 136,000KM (84,000M). And it has a engine tick. I can't tell if it is a lifter or the timing chain. The sound is centered on the engine. Not to one side or another. I have looked into it a bit and it seems that both, the rockers and the chain can tick. What should i look in to first? I would be doing if myself. Let me know what you think:)

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a professional diagnosis, but any way it goes you have to remove the valve covers so I would start there.

Replacing the "lifters" (I believe they are actually called valve lash adjusters on the 4.7) is relatively inexpensive even if you do them all, and is PROBABLY what is wrong.

However while you are in there you can look at a lot of things, tension of the cam chains, relative wear of cam lobes, oil sludge blocking return holes. If any lobe of the cam looks substantially worse than the others you might be facing cams and rockers as well as lifters. If the chain is sloppy time to replace all 3 chains, guides and tensioners.

These motors have a questionable reputation but it is odd one is ticking this soon.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been doing a little bit of research. And i sure hope it is the lash adjusters! I have noted that it does it less when it is warm and on longer drives.

I think i will take the valve covers off and see what is looks like under there.

The previous owner drove it about 3-5 minutes twice a day to and from work, i don't know if that has anything to do with it....

tenn.guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
??
Engine
ecoDIESEL
Have you checked the exhaust manifold gasket? Loud tick at start up and goes away when it gets warm? That's where I would start.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

I just read you said coming from the center. Inside my cab it sounded centered till I popped hood.

Good luck hopefully whatever it is, it will be cheap and easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks tenn.guy. I never heard of that, but it is possible. I will look at that.

I have been under, on top, beside, all a round with it running and it sounds like it is the front or the left side.

I sure hope so!! I do not want to take the front of the engine out!!

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It isn't that hard, best advise is take the radiator out first, gives you enough room to stand in the compartment and work. That shroud is huge lol.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, i took the valve cover off and all the hydraulic lash adjusters are tight.....and the timing chain is quite loose.....so i guess i am going to have some fun. Lol. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good timing chain kit?

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Exhaust leak! I had a leak at the manifold on my '03 4.7 Dakota, sounded like an engine tick. Was not as loud once the engine warmed up.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up not needing chains but I busted a tensioner. In my search I found chains, tensioners and pulleys for around 100 bucks on e-bay as a kit. For a little more you get the oil pump also.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping that is what it was or the adjusters. But when i saw this i was pretty sure i had found the "tick" source. :mad:

Attachments

• _DSC0347.jpg
    _DSC0347.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 130
  • _DSC0348.jpg
    _DSC0348.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up not needing chains but I busted a tensioner. In my search I found chains, tensioners and pulleys for around 100 bucks on e-bay as a kit. For a little more you get the oil pump also.

Did you install the whole kit? or just the tensioners?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't buy the whole kit because I just needed tensioners. I found tensioners elsewhere but the price was real good on the entire kit. Good thing you tore it apart now, looks like it is really stretched. You will need the gears also when you take the chains off you will find them very worn.

Read the procedure first before removing the dampner, easier to time it before. Make sure to get a 3 arm puller too and do not grab from the outside of the pulley. grab farther in toward the screw there will be room.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, the timing kit is coming next week. Just wondering if i should do the water pump at the same time? Anything else i should know?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Loosest one I've ever seen. Definitely needs replaced, and it is good you found it now, just don't be too disappointed if you still hear a tick when done. Mine had more miles than yours and though it was close to the end of the adjustment it was still tight. The same thing that stressed your chain probably worked on other parts.

You are already in there, taking the cams off and putting lash adjusters in would not be a task at this point and a lot more inexpensive than if you have to go in and do it again.

I would also look for snapped exhaust manifold bolts especially on the back ports near the firewall. Look around all the ports and see if you detect any blackness. It isn't rare at that mileage to have an exhaust leak and it does sound similar to an engine tick.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, i have the truck apart. the timing chains definitely need doing. but i also took out a lash adjuster. They are also stuck down and loose. So i am going to replace all of them. Also doing the spark plugs while i'm in there.

Attachments

• _DSC3521.jpg
    _DSC3521.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 112

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Do the water pump. It's cheap. Actually, whatever you can do now while it's opened up, do it.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a little adventure...... i think the pics are self explanatory.:superhack:time

Attachments

• _DSC3579.jpg
    _DSC3579.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150220_160740.jpg
    20150220_160740.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150221_165230.jpg
    20150221_165230.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 96
  • _DSC3595.jpg
    _DSC3595.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got her back together last night. Still ticks.....but otherwise runs smother. Took her for a drive last night and my avg was 14mpg is now 16.5 to 16mpg.

Have anybody had any problems with lose torque converter bolts or flexplate bolts??

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, i am lost as to what the tick can be. I had the cover off the front of the transmission to look at the flex plate. And the bolts are tight and there are no cracks in it that i can see. I would really like to get it fixed. Here are some links to a identical sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ci-T6HY8_M and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndqn9NhlP1Y

I have done the timing chains and sprockets, lash adjusters, checked the flex plate, checked the exhaust manifold....anything else you can think of? The sounds is the loudest underneath by the exhaust pipe.....

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
You said you checked the exhaust manifolds, what exactly does that mean? Did you change the exhaust gaskets? Are all of the manifold bolts there? Are the flanges tight from the manifold to the pipe?

I had to change my gaskets due to a leak on both sides, two of my bolts broke off right at the head and I had to drill them out. It would tick when I started it up but go away once the truck was warm. Now it sounds solid when I fire it up every time.