2002 ecm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willnegus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just went to swap out my 02 ram ecm with a known good ecm. Starts and stalls. Is there anyway of bypassing the security on this so I don't have to go to the dealer for a flash. Truck has a 360 same engine from 94-02 but new body style 02-07. I tried a computer from a 98 318. Starts and runs fine but no gauges.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They're not even the same body style, why would you do that? Not to mention that 98 318 PCM isn't going to be calibrated correctly, plus with the wiring differences that's why you have no gauges. And no, you cannot bypass the security to run it. If you keep trying to run it without the proper chipped key/SKIM set you will lock the PCM.

OP
OP
W

Willnegus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecm question

The only reason I tried the old style computer is because my buddy had it laying around and my truck will skip only in first gear also the overhead display and spedo is all over the place. With the old computer the truck won't spit and sputter in first but oviously the Gage's won't work. I bought the proper computer for it but will start and stall. Do I have to go get it flashed or is there something else I can do to bypass the security

jhosler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
When I had to replace my ecm, I had to get it programmed to my VIN number and computer code.