2003 hemi lopes and surges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lingenfeltersbrackets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2003 hemi with 180000 miles on it. When I start up it idles fine, as soon as I put it in any gear it starts to lope like it has a big cam at low idle. It will then surge a bit almost uncontrollably. After warm up it will do this in park. In gravel or grass it will spin the wheels easily when surging. When I go to accelerate it will hesitate a bit and then surge almost the way a holley carb with too small of accelerator pump will do. This started when every once in awhile it would sputter after backing out of a parking spot and changing from reverse to drive. Then the loping came intermittently. Now its every time I start it.
Currently the service light is off. Recently the map sensor was replaced. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, the pcv, removed and cleaned the throttle body bore. Both O2 sensors have been replaced in the last 6 months. I recently ran injector cleaner thru the fuel system via the fuel tank. That seemed to help for a short time. i have noticed that if I accelerate hard as if to "blow the carbon out" it runs better for a short time. Driving at any speed it seems to run fine. Any ideas where to begin diagnosis? Thanks

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
What codes were you getting before? You might want to have the battery tested and check all the ground connections. Sounds dumb I'd but check the transmission fluid level, low trans fluid level can cause poor idling. Welcome to the Forum.